Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» York Road & District Results 2024
white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 Emptyby David Today at 1:35 pm

» Good Morning
white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 Emptyby David Today at 1:33 pm

» Weather today
white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 Emptyby David Today at 1:32 pm

» APHA Forms .......
white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 Emptyby David Fri May 17, 2024 11:38 am

» come join us
white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 Emptyby David Thu May 16, 2024 10:21 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 Emptyby David Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

» King removes Patronage
white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 32 users online :: 2 Registered, 0 Hidden and 30 Guests :: 1 Bot

barnie, David

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 Vote_lcapwhite racing homer first release advice - Page 2 Voting_barwhite racing homer first release advice - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 Vote_lcapwhite racing homer first release advice - Page 2 Voting_barwhite racing homer first release advice - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1298 registered users
The newest registered user is Marcdvc11

Our users have posted a total of 222878 messages in 14007 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

white racing homer first release advice

Go down 
+5
halcanada
barnie
oldstrain
MISTY
Mike
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 24, 2019 2:09 pm

Only way to break a pigeon is to give them something that they like better.  they never forget, and time is- regardless what many may spout out - just that with wasted. A preference to what they had.

If near enough to former loft, then the best way is to not feed them in old loft but rake them to new loft to be fed... maybe leave a 'Mate in a box to be seen.  Let them out in open trap. Soon they will go to the new loft every time to for feed. Then same for mate etc.

If not able,  the best birds are broken when letting every three days right from the off.

I had 24 in Mid March to break. I raced most of them both roads North and South starting April the 19th! True.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 24, 2019 6:02 pm

Thanks for information Paloma,.

When very young a few of us minors used to send our pigeons by bus, about 12 miles, as much fun as winning from 500 miles.

It is how you approach the sport as anything else.

It is a thrill just to send them yourself, but I hope you get a few people interested, a small trailer that holds a few baskets is all that is needed to have some real fun.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 25, 2019 7:04 pm

Hi, Mike,
Think you are the only one contributing to the forum from America.

Nice change.

Would be interesting to know a bit more about the pigeon sport over there.

Believe I have read somewhere that show pigeons are a force over there.

Good to learn of your other activities.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 25, 2019 7:05 pm

Hi, Mike,
Think you are the only one contributing to the forum from America.

Nice change.

Would be interesting to know a bit more about the pigeon sport over there.

Believe I have read somewhere that show pigeons are a force over there.

Good to learn of your other activities.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 26, 2019 1:02 am

Nice state. Good climate. Check here. http://pigeon_racingsc.tripod.com/
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 26, 2019 9:04 am

Looks well organised to me Hal.

Very informative, thanks.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Mike
Chipping
Chipping
Mike

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 27, 2019 4:03 am

Thanks for the link Hal, I am new to all this and have never belonged to a pigeon club. I don't believe that the type of white doves I have are the best for racing although that may not be true.
I let out the three youngest ones out today an hour before sunset according to all the info I got from ya'll. It wen't very well they flew around a little but mostly stayed on the ground. After about a half hour I started to whistle and finally got them to realize the food was inside. Over all no problems. I still have a bunch more of older ages like as much as 5 months older so I was thinking of adding one or two more a day to that side of the loft and let them out until they are all back together.Good Idea or no. What can I expect them to do after a while when I release them?
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 27, 2019 8:45 am

Well done, good start. Personally I'd continue with the 3 youngest for another 3 or 4 times on their own until they have learned the regime, always on an evening like you did. By all means keep adding a few at a time until they do as you want, no need to rush things so this might take you several weeks but worth it in the end to see your flock up and about.
They're going to be a bit stiff winged at first so they'll probably flit from the ground to the roof for a while but when fitter and more confident with their surroundings they might do a few laps just above the loft. Be prepared for them getting up and behind the trees, this will be the big test once they lose sight of the loft and their pals in the cage.
Keeping them hungry without being cruel is key, 24 hrs between feeds even the ones not being let out, get them used to being fed in the evening so when they do go out they're thinking about food first and foremost. Just feed them slowly until you see two or three go for a drink of water then stop
Once you have the flock going in and out easily responding to your whistle and food, try them out a few hours before dark, give them more time to explore the immediate area, they'll gain confidence.
Myself I wouldn't suddenly start putting them out on a morning until they were flying freely for a few weeks on an evening, then your feeding plan will change accordingly, keep them under control.
Good luck, you'll get there but don't rush things.
Back to top Go down
Mike
Chipping
Chipping
Mike

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 29, 2019 1:11 am

Thanks Barnie, I use your reply as my personal hand book. Its going very well. They were let out for the third time tonight. They did a little circle around the loft. Each time they flap around a little more. I let them out one hour before sunset. One wasn't to interested in going back in but its probably because I gave them a few peanuts in the morning to see if they would come to me! Should I wait for them to fly around more before adding more birds with them? also I was wondering for the future when I start letting them out in the morning. Do I still only feed them at night?
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 29, 2019 9:00 am

Good to hear. Continue letting the 3 you got going out first for an hour then once they are wanting back in try adding a couple more if you're ready, don't just let settled and unsettled all out together, let settled have a fly around first. You need these 3 as the "bait" to keep the others around the loft area. Don't give them anything in the morning just yet. This is going to take you a few weeks so I hope you got patience. Try keeping the balance where you always have more settled than unsettled going out, for example the 3 you have going in and out now, add 1 tonight, then after a few days add 2 new ones and so on but never more than 3 unsettled ones into the mix at any one time. Once you have them all settled, and remember you may loose a few, just how it is I'm afraid, have them out for a few hours each evening if the weather is good for a couple of weeks. Then I'll tell you how I would change the feed so you can fly them twice a day but still have full control of them. Put a photo up of the corn you are using when you get a chance.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 29, 2019 10:51 am

barnie wrote:
Good to hear. Continue letting the 3 you got going out first for an hour then once they are wanting back in try adding a couple more if you're ready, don't just let settled and unsettled all out together, let settled have a fly around first. You need these 3 as the "bait" to keep the others around the loft area. Don't give them anything in the morning just yet. This is going to take you a few weeks so I hope you got patience. Try keeping the balance where you always have more settled than unsettled going out, for example the 3 you have going in and out now, add 1 tonight, then after a few days add 2 new ones and so on but never more than 3 unsettled ones into the mix at any one time. Once you have them all settled, and remember you may loose a few, just how it is I'm afraid, have them out for a few hours each evening if the weather is good for a couple of weeks. Then I'll tell you how I would change the feed so you can fly them twice a day but still have full control of them. Put a photo up of the corn you are using when you get a chance.
A sensible approach from my end here etc Barnie Smile Smile with what you say & he would be wise to follow your thoughts I would suggest, on average  Very Happy  Very Happy. cheers
Back to top Go down
Mike
Chipping
Chipping
Mike

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 29, 2019 8:17 pm

white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 6a789f10
Back to top Go down
Mike
Chipping
Chipping
Mike

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 29, 2019 8:25 pm

This is what I have been feeding. Whole corn(deer corn),chicken layer pellets 16%, and a mix of Breeder conditioner and milo 50/50.
The last one is what I use for my rollers.
I mix those 1/3 each, but I have to give them the corn last because that’s all they want.
Back to top Go down
Mike
Chipping
Chipping
Mike

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 29, 2019 8:30 pm

white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 9b673210
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 29, 2019 9:24 pm

The maize looks dicky, too many small seeds, too much of a mix.

Better to get a basic mix from a reliable provider of pigeon products.

Then change depending on what you intend doing.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Mike
Chipping
Chipping
Mike

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 30, 2019 1:53 am

pigeon supplies have to be shipped and its expensive. No suppliers around here. But I didn't understand when you said change according to what I intend on doing unless you were referring to breeding. So a racing pigeon feed with whole corn is what you suggest?
Today I let the three young ones out for about 45 min. and as Barnie suggested I let one more out as the others were ready to go in. This worked really well. I would have never thought of that! They all went in together after the new one went from the ground to the roof a few times. So glad to get this kind of advice.
Tomorrow I will just let out the 4 and the following day add 1 more the same way.
Back to top Go down
Mike
Chipping
Chipping
Mike

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 30, 2019 1:59 am

white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 31570610
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 30, 2019 7:00 am

Is that a racing pigeon you have with them? It looks ready to get up and go looking at its stance. Your feeding is what it is and how you can obtain it. The birds look well enough, the droppings will indicate if all is well, there's plenty of variation in the mix you are using, maybe add some small seeds like linseed to use for trapping, but not too much. Are you able to purchase grit for the birds?
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 30, 2019 9:19 am

The maize appears to be going off, mouldy, worst thing out for pigeons.

If you do not intend racing and you can obtain farm wheat and beans etc; that would be the cheapest and best way for you, a few small seeds would not go amiss.

I take it for granted you use grit and minerals.

There is nothing complicated about giving pigeons a reasonable diet it is just common sense.

If there is no real prospect of racing then use all the basics, your pigeons will be better than those filled with rubbish over here.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 30, 2019 11:23 am

paloma blanca wrote:
This is what I have been feeding. Whole corn(deer corn),chicken layer pellets 16%, and a mix of Breeder conditioner and milo 50/50.
The last one is what I use for my rollers.
I mix those 1/3 each, but I have to give them the corn last because that’s all they want.
Don't see a problem there with the pellets & mix you use etc Paloma Smile Smile the Maize thou Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes is not quite up to scratch as they say on average for what I can see. Just curious some what, but would you have any local farmers there in a local nature, growing grain you could just perhaps purchase Smile Smile. cheers
Back to top Go down
Mike
Chipping
Chipping
Mike

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 01, 2019 1:35 am

Yes that is a racing pigeon. When I was purchasing the whites I happen to check out the fanciers other lofts and bought that one right out of the nest. I'm glad I did its very strong and healthy. Is there any problem flying the racer with the others?
I do have grit it is for poultry its gray and they do eat it, I also throw some oyster shells and mineral grit in. The last one I had to order!
Everything went so well today that I let one more over to that side but it didn't go out today. They were flying around a lot more today landing on some of the other buildings and circling around before landing back on the loft roof. So much fun!! I eat my dinner while I sit in the lawn chair and watch them. I would have done this many years ago if I knew how nice of a thing it is.
I'm going to look into getting some better corn (maize). Oh the droppings look good I found a chart to go by and they look good. They looked a little green and watery when I first packed them all into one side of the loft. The chart showed that as birds that are stressed. Its better now. There is so much to it and I find it all very interesting.
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 01, 2019 6:46 am

Just keep doing what you're doing, the racer out with the rest is fine, they're all the same when settling. Any that don't want to come out, don't force them they're going to come out when more confident. If they still don't come out after a few times, put them ones back into one side and try a different pigeon, keep the routine exactly the same, keep the birds on the hungry side. I asked about grit because some new fanciers don't understand the importance but forgot you had the rollers so you know the score. Do you have a pigeon basket or crate the birds can see out from? If so you could basket some up that aren't settled yet and place on the lawn while some are out and about. Gives them a view of the loft front from a different perspective but don't be tempted to release them hoping they fly back, put them back into the loft by hand. Keep with the birds as they will be venerable to predators.
Back to top Go down
Mike
Chipping
Chipping
Mike

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 02, 2019 1:55 am

I have two white racers that are sneezing a lot and scratching their nose. Anyone know what this is or is it normal?
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 02, 2019 8:11 am

Could be a number of things, are they moulting at the moment, more dust and feathers around the loft than usual perhaps? Are their wattles still chalky white? Are the affected pigeons generally roosting in the highest perches in the loft? Don't go reaching for treatments and antibiotics and treat blindly.
Back to top Go down
Mike
Chipping
Chipping
Mike

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 02, 2019 1:45 pm

The ones that were sneezing yesterday weren't on high perches and they appeared to be done the molt. I went out after dark and listened for sneezing and didn't here any thing.There is more dust around generally because it hasn't rained for so long and we are on a dirt road! there is also a lot of feathers floating around as some are still molting. The loft does have a wire bottom and that helps a lot. I will keep a close eye on them I have looked on the internet and its all doom and gloom about respiratory problems but I am not going to rush into anything like you say. I feel my loft is pretty clean and comfortable but a little crowded at the moment with most of them on one side that are not flying yet.
I let out the 5 last night half hour before sunset because I say a hawk earlier. The first 3 are starting to get real adventurous. and the second 2 didn't do to much but did go up and down a few times! I think if things go well tonight I'll slide one more over. cheers
Can you say a little about your pigeons Barnie, are you a racer or a pigeon keeper/Fancier?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

white racing homer first release advice
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next