Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 2:34 pm

» Good Morning
white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 2:33 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 Emptyby David Today at 1:35 pm

» APHA Forms .......
white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 Emptyby David Fri May 17, 2024 11:38 am

» come join us
white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 Emptyby David Thu May 16, 2024 10:21 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 Emptyby David Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

» King removes Patronage
white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 36 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 35 Guests :: 1 Bot

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 Vote_lcapwhite racing homer first release advice - Page 3 Voting_barwhite racing homer first release advice - Page 3 Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 Vote_lcapwhite racing homer first release advice - Page 3 Voting_barwhite racing homer first release advice - Page 3 Vote_rcap 
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1298 registered users
The newest registered user is Marcdvc11

Our users have posted a total of 222880 messages in 14007 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

white racing homer first release advice

Go down 
+5
halcanada
barnie
oldstrain
MISTY
Mike
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 03, 2019 8:12 am

paloma blanca wrote:

Can you say a little about your pigeons Barnie, are you a racer or a pigeon keeper/Fancier?  

Yes certainly: I'm kind of between pigeons right now, but might have a few pairs settled by early 2020. However I have been involved since 9 yrs old mainly with tumblers and fantails at first but into my teens it was 100% racers right through until about 20 years ago when I stopped keeping them. I've raced with decent success and bred some exceptional birds through the years right up to 1st National over 22,000 entrants and also supplied the parents of 1st National at 540 miles. I've never kept a lot of birds, usually @12 old birds to race and maybe 35 young birds at the start. I know what it's like to be miles behind on race day, and I also know how it feels to take the first 5 on a strong head wind, all the ups and downs experienced.
When I'm up and running I'll only be keeping them for enjoyment, maybe race when I feel like it, train when it suits me etc. I'll probably also get a pair of fancy pigeons to fly out once the racers have been exercised, take me back in time a bit.

Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 03, 2019 1:09 pm

Nice post, barnie. I'd say a lot of us can relate very well to your post.
When kids me and brothers also had tumblers and tipplers. Fascinating birds to watch and enjoy.
Had many other kids visit and some took some. Only ever had two pairs of Rollers, more the pity.
Dad was a mediocre flyer. Doing shift and no money... but loved the pigeons. His main worry was affording feeds. which was a pain lol.. Got mad a few times if our birds enjoyed mating with his.
Would take the birds on a bicycle sometimes for training chucks lol - But like most fanciers then, training was seldom afforded, let alone done.  However, the pigeons would go straight into races.  Still flew the programme and had to make room every year for perches and nest boxes.
Dad's success, like many in the days, was few and far between. However, the banter and stories etc.! Yes, it was great and unbelievable compared to the so-called fanciers of today. Times have changed, and sadly I feel not for the better. However, then what has?
Even changes of the betterment- when lol - have been made, it still causes discontentment along with the immediate …

Now I feel, as have posted, would like a few Tipplers, Tumblers etc. However,  we have to accept that it won't happen. So not living in the past, but often recall those cherished moments eh!
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 03, 2019 1:27 pm

cheers! Seems a lifetime ago......infact it pretty much was!
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 03, 2019 1:41 pm

barnie wrote:
cheers! Seems a lifetime ago......infact it pretty much was!

Lol, how true.
Back to top Go down
Mike
Chipping
Chipping
Mike

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 03, 2019 8:48 pm

I have a couple of young rollers that just paired up and laid an egg they are decent rollers so even though its really late in the season I think I will let them raise the young if it is fertile.white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 2019-113
Thanks for your post guys it helps paint a picture of who your talking back and forth with!!
Oh I hav't heard any more sneezing from the white doves, Thank goodness.

Last edited by paloma blanca on Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mike
Chipping
Chipping
Mike

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 03, 2019 9:08 pm

white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 2019-115
white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 2019-116
Back to top Go down
Mike
Chipping
Chipping
Mike

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 03, 2019 9:40 pm

white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 2019-010
white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 2019-117
white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 2019-011
The three birds on the bottom perches are common pigeons (feral)
Also the three lowest ons flying, They can't keep up to the rollers!
I have 8 rollers that I fly in total. Soon to be 9 I am just getting him or her settled.
Back to top Go down
Mike
Chipping
Chipping
Mike

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 07, 2019 6:12 pm

I flew 10 birds last night! They all take off at the same time and go every which way then all come back in about 30 seconds. They did that twice. It almost seemed like something scared them but I know nothing did! I have a question - When they all go to the ground they look like they were eating, so I took a closer look and they were eating and swallowing a lot of stuff from the ground. Its not food. Is this normal? Also sorry I rambled on on my last postings , It seems that no one liked that!
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 07, 2019 6:31 pm

enjoyed the pictures, lofts and birds look great ..............(allso liked the g/shepherds in your avatar .

yes its normal for pigeons to peck about in the ground.
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 07, 2019 7:14 pm

No problems here with you sharing all your different experiences, it's good to hear upbeat enthusiasm!
Glad it's still going ok, don't rush them, keep to the plan Very Happy Very Happy
As David says pigeons generally peck around, they are supplementing things missing from their diet, minerals, salts etc, stuff they don't get from corn and grit alone.
Depends on what you have available at hand, or what you can manage to acquire from pigeon or poultry feeds supplier. Typical popular supplements can include pink minerals, charcoal, clay blocks as well as various grit mixtures. Just do your best to ensure what they peck around is clear of anything harmful, like no slug pellets or weed killer down for example. Well done settling the birds so far!
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 08, 2019 12:35 am

Probably no one commented on your last pic because I for one have never seen a loft so clean!! Shames me!!
Back to top Go down
Mike
Chipping
Chipping
Mike

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 3:22 am

I've never made a youtube video before, Take a look and tell me what you think!
https://youtu.be/LuBP8xCCh2M
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 6:21 am

paloma blanca wrote:
I've never made a youtube video before, Take a look and tell me what you think!
https://youtu.be/LuBP8xCCh2M
I would suggest, you have done a good job their Palamo etc Very Happy Very Happy being your first go as such Smile Smile. Skill level there also from a building aspect Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes lol! lol! lol! slightly up on our mate Hal here I suspect, but our birds learn to adapt to many different aspects with how we may treat & house them in the end, fortunately Smile Smile. cheers
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 8:00 pm

Great first attempt, shows a lot in a short time, birds look well and happy in their surroundings. Get your whites going in a while and put another video up whenever you can. Can see you needing extension to lofts once the breeding starts Smile now you got the bug.
Back to top Go down
Mike
Chipping
Chipping
Mike

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 8:27 pm

Thought I would give it a try! Sometimes seeing a short video can say a lot more than a paragraph could.
I do enjoy those rollers!
When I let out the whites last night (13 of them) they flew a lot more.
I had trouble getting them all back in for the first time. After they flew (not all of them) they started eating on the ground again.
when I started to whistle for them to come in they started to gobble the ground like it was corn!!
I let that nonsense go on for a while then realized I had to get them off the ground. I pushed some back up to the landing board and went around and call some through the trap. I had to repeat that process about 5 times! the last one was very nervous so I lifted the trap for it.
The last one got no food yesterday!
I'll try it again tonight with just the same ones and see what happens.
Back to top Go down
Mike
Chipping
Chipping
Mike

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2019 2:56 am

When I flew the 13 tonight the fly around a little more each time. Also it went better at the end because I had my wife push them up to the landing board as I called them in.
I will make a video soon so y'all can see them!
If there are any roller flyers -I wonder will they become better at rolling if I flew them twice a day?
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 11, 2019 12:19 am

paloma blanca wrote:
When I flew the 13 tonight the fly around a little more each time. Also it went better at the end because I had my wife push them up to the landing board as I called them in.
I will make a video soon so y'all can see them!
If there are any roller flyers -I wonder will they become better at rolling if I flew them twice a day?
Know nothing about Rollers etc Paloma Smile Smile But then Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes come to think of it as such lol! lol! lol! I know very little even about my racing pigeons on average, also Very Happy Very Happy. cheers
Back to top Go down
Mike
Chipping
Chipping
Mike

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 11, 2019 1:31 am

I know what you mean the more I learn about them the more questions I have.
Kind of like women. ha-ha
I let all 18 out tonight, they seem happier with the entire loft and being all back together. They flew everywhere but mostly stayed within sight. Should I let them out earlier now. I have been letting them out 30 minutes before sunset?
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 11, 2019 1:54 am

Not for me to say. Seems you are doing good following one members advice. Pigeons from the same loft like to flock together. They seem to be bonded. Time to let them out? In your case no idea. Here early morning and hungry. But just my thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Mike
Chipping
Chipping
Mike

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 11, 2019 1:58 am

Yes Barnie has great advice, got me this far with no problems. I think he will be surprised that I lost patience and put the last five in there all at once.!
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 11, 2019 8:40 am

Take your time, it's not like they have to be ready for a certain date, like training and racing just round the corner. You may have them flitting about but they're still not truly settled. Get them out a bit earlier on evenings by all means, maybe 2 hrs max before darkness, but they need to be kitted up in one batch and flying freely for 15-20 mins at least, plus up above those trees and going out of sight of the loft at times.
Don't frighten them up they'll fly longer as confidence in being outside grows.
They're your birds at the end of they day but I would wait until they were flying freely, straight out the door, batched up and away as a group doing this on evenings for at least 7-10 days. I wouldn't advise putting them out on mornings until they were at this stage.
Now you got them all going in and out, try feeding only pellets on a morning, but rationed at @1 level soupspoon per bird. (Pellets will digest a lot quicker than corn) and by evening they'll be looking for food so helps keeping them under control. Then on an evening, feed your corn mixture slowly till 2 or 3 go for water then stop.
Glad it's going well for you, it's no mean feat settling so many birds that haven't been outside before.
Back to top Go down
Mike
Chipping
Chipping
Mike

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 11, 2019 2:43 pm

Hey Barnie, Thanks for the advice. It's so insightful. I am very excited to keep with the program and also to HAVE a program! So I'll add 15 min to the release every night until I get to two hours and then keep it there for a week or so. Is it important to split up the feedings - (pellets in the morning and corn mix at night). Is this better for them instead of letting them stay hungry all day?
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 11, 2019 4:17 pm

paloma blanca wrote:
Is it important to split up the feedings - (pellets in the morning and corn mix at night). Is this better for them instead of letting them stay hungry all day?  

Yes because you want them flying not just hanging about waiting for food. If you miss the morning feed they won't be keen on exercising at all as there's no fuel in the tank by evening. You need a working balance, so just because their crops are empty doesn't mean their stomachs are empty too. the pellets will digest quicker than corn once they get water in their crops. So I think the pellets on a morning will give them a bit in the tank but still leave you with some control over them when you want them back in the loft later in the day. I admit I don't know anything about Rollers but could you put a few Rollers out with them at some stage, might help get them flying up and about?
Back to top Go down
Mike
Chipping
Chipping
Mike

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 11, 2019 4:39 pm

Yes I understand about the pellets now, and this will hopefully get them off the ground and stop eating everything in sight.
Great Idea with the rollers because they are what got the ferals up and exercising. It might be to early though because there are some that haven't flown really at all yet.
At some stage it would be good because they very rarely leave sight but after the doves are up, flying and strong I wouldn't want them to take the rollers for a ride. I don't think they are very good at homing although I haven't lost one yet even after a hawk attack and two rollers came back the next day in the late afternoon and it rained the night they were out!
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 11, 2019 5:32 pm

posting mike`s (paloma blanca) youtube video for him .......

its a good video mike, you should do some more .

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

white racing homer first release advice
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next