Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 10:36 pm

» Good Morning
white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 Emptyby David Today at 9:42 pm

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:33 am

» York Road & District Results 2024
white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:32 am

» PR For Pigeons
white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 Emptyby David Sun May 26, 2024 8:41 pm

» APHA Forms .......
white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 Emptyby David Fri May 24, 2024 12:03 pm

» Young Pigeon Fanciers
white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 Emptyby David Wed May 22, 2024 12:08 am

» King removes Patronage
white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 Emptyby David Wed May 22, 2024 12:02 am

» come join us
white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 Emptyby David Thu May 16, 2024 10:21 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 35 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 35 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 Vote_lcapwhite racing homer first release advice - Page 4 Voting_barwhite racing homer first release advice - Page 4 Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 Vote_lcapwhite racing homer first release advice - Page 4 Voting_barwhite racing homer first release advice - Page 4 Vote_rcap 
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1298 registered users
The newest registered user is Marcdvc11

Our users have posted a total of 223007 messages in 14009 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

white racing homer first release advice

Go down 
+5
halcanada
barnie
oldstrain
MISTY
Mike
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Mike
Chipping
Chipping
Mike

white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 11, 2019 5:57 pm

Thanks David, I am going to do something soon with the white doves! Then y'all can see them beauties.
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 12, 2019 10:46 am

Remember some times, very early, when the youngsters were fresh and at home being out we let the tipplers out with them.
Ok maybe the weather / climate was fresher and cleaner, but they all went so high and out of site. When the tipplers came down the youngsters had gone ranging. Back just when starting to get dark. Odd time some on loft in morning.

You know, it is no wonder training was then, as now a waste of time effort and money. They range 60-70 miles radius.
Maybe, maybe not, as some say and the thinking was, Breaking points! they never ever needed them etc.
Just food for thoughts.

I'd wager that no more than 4-5 times most, over the years, were the birds every sent on a train for a toss.

Mind, on the train platform some time in the 50's, it was amassed with pigeons in baskets being sent to China via Frankie George!
Back to top Go down
Mike
Chipping
Chipping
Mike

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 12, 2019 8:14 pm

Here are the 18 young white doves that I have been settling with the kind help of the forums members.

Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 12, 2019 8:32 pm

enjoyed the video mike, birds are coming on great .........well done
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 12, 2019 9:56 pm

Yes, interesting video, plenty of thought gone into loft design.

Any type of fancy pigeon is easy to settle as opposed to racers.

You can have too much space within the loft if you want the pigeons to be tame by friendship rather than lack of food.

Never ever used food as a means of anything, always available.

Are you interested in racing? If not there are numerous fancy pigeons
that would afford much pleasure with not all the implications of racing.

Are there any show pigeon clubs within a reasonable distance?. If so showing is a very interesting and rewarding hobby.

Seems a pity not to use the set up you have for a certain particular purpose.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
Mike
Chipping
Chipping
Mike

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 12, 2019 11:02 pm

Thanks for the comments. I am slightly interested in racing pigeons and I am not opposed to the idea of one day getting involved with a racing club but for now I am more interested in white dove release. Not as a business per say but wouldn’t mind if they could support themselves. So having them trained for 20 to 30 miles I think would be sufficient and the training from what I can gather is similar to racing pigeon training except without the emphasis on speed. I have the roller Pigeons simply just for fun. Not sure what I will do when springtime comes and breeding is evident. Probably use a few pair of rollers on white dove eggs if I can get the timing right.Just playing everything by ear right now.
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 13, 2019 8:39 am

Likewise Misty: 'You can have too much space within the loft if you want the pigeons to be tame by friendship rather than lack of food.

Never ever used food as a means of anything, always available'.
Back to top Go down
Mike
Chipping
Chipping
Mike

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 14, 2019 1:31 am

This is a video of a pigeon exhibit at the South Carolina State Fair. taken today oct. 13 2019

https://youtu.be/Z701l5-J260
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 14, 2019 8:36 am

paloma blanca wrote:
This is a video of a pigeon exhibit at the South Carolina State Fair. taken today oct. 13 2019

https://youtu.be/Z701l5-J260
Grass root type stuff etc Smile Smile I would suggest Paloma Very Happy Very Happy Brought back memories as such, of when I was a small kid. Thanks. cheers
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 14, 2019 9:04 am

What a smashing little video, brings back the old fur and feather show memories.

Some smashing looking racers, do not know how they keep the fancy breeds feathers in such good condition.

Well worth another look now and again.

Well done.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 14, 2019 11:24 am

Good Video mate. Thanks. Like many others I/we have in the main been and seen... good times and happy memories.
Back to top Go down
Mike
Chipping
Chipping
Mike

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 15, 2019 1:58 am

glad y'all liked the video,
The white homers we're not doing much until tonight when my daughter and I put some effort into keeping them off the ground and stopping the dirt eating.
They gave up and started finally flying around some. 4 in particular stayed up for a few minutes which was the longest so far! the others went back and forth from the house to the loft and sunroom. The best part is that they are getting to know the routine and all come in very well when I call them. I did give them some pellets in the morning and they did a lot better with that. The first day I did that they were very hard to control that night! So I think they are more going by the feed response and routine now. I will keep with it and hope that no hawks come by and make my day!
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 15, 2019 6:57 am

Hopefully any hawks may have had their fill by the time you let the pigeons out on an evening, but you can never tell. Being white they'll make an easy target although hawks don't seem to differentiate when it comes to food.

If the birds are awkward for getting back in the loft, maybe try reducing the morning feed of pellets? Try halving the amount for a while. Once they fly more in a batch, up and away, then appetite will increase so food can increase accordingly. Still some time away from that stage.

Good that it's going ok for you so far, and enjoying your videos.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 15, 2019 8:54 am

thanks for sharing the videos and glad to see your doing well so far ,keep to barnies outline and I am sure you wont go far wrong,hawks are always a danger and always will be but at least where you are situated you can deal with the matter ,keep up the good work
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 15, 2019 5:24 pm

The pigeons will only pick and eat off the ground for two reasons, they are hungry, or short of something in their diet that they can get off the ground.

Why I would never have a pigeon hungry and ensure they have the grit and minerals necessary for their health available all the time within the loft.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 15, 2019 7:16 pm

Some wht agree Misty. But I hopper fed, open hole and just chucked the grit / mineral of the cobbles. Also good for contain youngster to grow safe and contented.
Gosh, never had any trouble. Then just look at them in puddles, roof gutters etc. Nary any harm there either I believe.
Back to top Go down
Mike
Chipping
Chipping
Mike

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 15, 2019 8:29 pm

I think the way Barnie has explained it to me is not starving the birds but feeding on a schedule. I say this Misty because I think that you got the impression they are always hungry which is not true. If anything they are getting fat! Flying them before their big meal of the day gives one more tool for controlling them. Its like rewarding them every day for coming when they are called. I do understand your point of view also because I have one feral pigeon that is always somewhere near me because I keep some corn in my pocket for him. I know pigeons love their loft and feel safe there but as far as being friends with me I don't know about that - I think they are in it for the food!! By the way I did throw away all that corn as it was suggested. Thanks
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 15, 2019 10:19 pm

Same Daz, open hole food always available, but I did keep grit and minerals in the loft but no doubt they also picked up things in the garden they knew was good for their health.

As for being tame I only had to shout pea nuts and bingo, but I could go in the loft and pick up or stroke any pigeon, you have to form a bond from them being born and you do not need to starve them or use only food to do so.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 16, 2019 10:31 am

'... As for being tame I only had to shout pea nuts and bingo, but I could go in the loft and pick up or stroke any pigeon, you have to form a bond from them being born and you do not need to starve them or use only food to do so'.
So very true.
They are your friends. Move steady and talk soft. Is one reason I believe do so well training youngster to re-act to a voice.

Had a Stray in once. Reported. A couple of days later the wife let the youngster out, the stray with them, As I open the front door. It was the fancier to collect his youngster. We walked through the house to the garden and they were circling and just gathering height. He was not happy, and said 'How long till they come down'! Wife said 'Stand away' and called them. 'Come on my babies. They swooped down as one and enter very quickly. His youngster too. He was amazed saying he'd never seen the like before. that if he hadn't seen it he'd never believe it.
I had good responses too... But never like the wife.
Back to top Go down
Mike
Chipping
Chipping
Mike

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 23, 2019 2:44 am

The whites have been doing fine, they are getting more adventurous and when they first come out just about all go up and some stay up for about 5 minutes. They don't fly together yet, they go in all directions - It's really a mess but fun to watch!
I think I have the food regulated well now.
I am wondering if it will be necessary to separate the sexes for the winter? The days are getting shorter and I am hoping they will calm down for a few months. The thing is I only really know the gender of a handful of them, so I don't know how I would go about it anyways. Flying them would be a different process also.
I am hoping to make another video soon. I wish I could post it without having to make a you tube video every time. If anyone has a trick for that please let me know.
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 23, 2019 11:39 am

Bringing back times we all remember so well eh!

Reminds me, and no disrespect in the least, when I had 17 fish tanks. All an assortment of Malawi  etc.

Many were those asking for them.  Especially those new to the game etc.
I put them off gently. explain that when I first started keeping fish, I had the Neon Tetra. Neons are among the most popular of freshwater tropical fish due to their tiny size... Swordtail. Swords are another pretty species that will grow to about two inches .. etc. etc. The enjoyment then, whilst so simple later, was great. Learning and watching. Helping to protect babies from being eaten via mother and any. In nets, marble floor etc. Great enjoyment.  Then had the ligger ones, chicilds fire mouths convicts etc. Sevrons etc. etc. I joined a club and eve showed some.  (Was surprised regards the antics and cheating, and the lack of knowledge some so - called judges had.Until I started keeping Keelie fish  then the Mouth breeders, the Lake Malawi Utaka, Mbuna, Mcheni Tangin Fish and many others.
Yes great pleasure arrived from all.
So I still believe the learning loving the starting of the neonas etc. meant I gathered and had enjoynts I would have otherwise missed.
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 23, 2019 3:40 pm

If everything is going ok I'd leave them all together, if you split them you're also depriving some of a perch which they call there own and been happy with for some time, even though there will be a perch for them in the other half of the loft it will upset the birds as it's not their "special place".
Wouldn't risk it while they're still not flying out of sight of home. Once you're happy they all know the local area and been flying well, then maybe split them if a few start dropping eggs but if everything is fine at the moment, leave well alone. Glad they're starting to get up and use their wings a bit more now. Be a sight all them whites up together. best wishes.
Back to top Go down
Mike
Chipping
Chipping
Mike

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 23, 2019 4:20 pm

Daz, I know exactly what you are referring to. Some of my best memories are from such simple things like watching the chickens or playing with my dog as a kid. I think its because you concentrate on them so much everything else fades away. That kind of enjoyment is what I am getting back with the pigeons! Although I have never been without a german shepherd dog for more than 6 months and it wasn't always easy to own a dog for one reason or another.
I think you also are saying that a lot of answers are going to come with experience. I know thats true! Pigeons are such an amazing animal I just can't believe how much there is to them. I think even if you do most things wrong they will still be resilient. It's so nice to be able to get some insight from all of you.
Barnie, I sure will leave well enough alone. I kind of figured that would be the right move. Very interesting about the perch. Now that you mention it I always see the racer in the same spot (it's the only one that has color). No need to upset them they are doing fine and no sign of eggs. I did give them some chopped up greens and carrots with salt but so far they just throw it around!
Hope all is well:lol:
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 23, 2019 6:36 pm

Daz wrote:
'... As for being tame I only had to shout pea nuts and bingo, but I could go in the loft and pick up or stroke any pigeon, you have to form a bond from them being born and you do not need to starve them or use only food to do so'.
So very true.
They are your friends. Move steady and talk soft. Is one reason I believe do so well training youngster to re-act to a voice.

Had a Stray in once. Reported. A couple of days later the wife let the youngster out, the stray with them, As I open the front door. It was the fancier to collect his youngster. We walked through the house to the garden and they were circling and just gathering height. He was not happy, and said 'How long till they come down'! Wife said 'Stand away' and called them. 'Come on my babies. They swooped down as one and enter very quickly. His youngster too. He was amazed saying he'd never seen the like before. that if he hadn't seen it he'd never believe it.
I had good responses too... But never like the wife.

used to have silver sharks about 4-6 inch long and a few others at different times including the neons they are my fav tiddlers I had the tricolour blue red silver lovely to watch them in a small shoal very relaxing
Back to top Go down
Mike
Chipping
Chipping
Mike

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 24, 2019 3:21 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: white racing homer first release advice   white racing homer first release advice - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

white racing homer first release advice
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next