Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
breeding better pigeons Emptyby Knackered Today at 8:04 am

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
breeding better pigeons Emptyby Knackered Today at 7:49 am

» Good Morning
breeding better pigeons Emptyby Knackered Today at 7:34 am

» good luck weekend
breeding better pigeons Emptyby Knackered Today at 7:30 am

» escaped birds return
breeding better pigeons Emptyby Knackered Today at 7:24 am

» Scandalous .......
breeding better pigeons Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 9:23 am

» RPRA Race Program
breeding better pigeons Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 8:49 am

» RPRA Rule Book
breeding better pigeons Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 8:41 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
breeding better pigeons Emptyby David Yesterday at 8:25 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) breeding better pigeons 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 108 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 107 Guests :: 2 Bots

Knackered

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.breeding better pigeons Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
breeding better pigeons Vote_lcapbreeding better pigeons Voting_barbreeding better pigeons Vote_rcap 
David
breeding better pigeons Vote_lcapbreeding better pigeons Voting_barbreeding better pigeons Vote_rcap 
Knackered
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222602 messages in 14001 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
breeding better pigeons Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
breeding better pigeons Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

breeding better pigeons

Go down 
+11
Ginger
George & Morgan
peel bros
GRIZZLECOCK
oldstrain
spencerline
Don Webb
Lightning
David
Alex
IANYOUNG
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

breeding better pigeons Empty
PostSubject: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 3:40 am

something i found interesting

Artical 2 : The added selection process can save you time and money.

After studying and analyzing all the tools and traits that I have heard or read about, only the traits that are true each and every time were used to form my grading system.

The Bieche 6 Common Denominator Grading System of selecting breeders covers more detail than most because it shows both strengths and weaknesses of each bird. In fact when a bird is graded you have a complete report card on every bird. By knowing the strength or weaknesses of a pigeon then and only then can you place the correct two birds together to come up with a better product. In all parts of the world there is a greater percent of excellent flyers than there are great breeders. When it comes to breeding very few pigeon fanciers can claim to have elevated a family. A good example of this would be in my own area, home of the Vernazza Janssens and the Galaxy Devriendts. In both cases the pigeons of today are not the same quality of the past. The art of placing the proper birds together is the key factor in either maintaining a family or better yet elevating a family.

Listed are My 6 Common Denominators:

Using my Common Denominator grading system I find very few perfect pigeons. If you think you have a loft full of perfect pigeons then there is no way to go except down. Matching strengths with weakness is the key to a better product. For Example; A good eye mated to a good eye normally gets you more of the same which is no improvment. Should you have a hen with an excellent eye, good throat and good character, who carries the excellent eye genes. Place her with a cock that is strong in all the other traits but needs a little better eye. Several youngsters from this pair will show an over all improvement. In grading pigeons if the first 3 traits do not have at least good, very

good or excellent then there is no need to go any further. This pigeon may have the body to

get the job done but if he does not have the drive or the proper tools this pigeon will not

turn out to be your next foundation cock or hen. To show my grading and selection of breeder's works I will point out several examples in article to follow. Because of this process our breeders of today are better than the original imports.

Number 1 : The eye in total

In many cases, there is too much importance placed on the eye. On the other hand, leaving the eye out in selecting breeders would also be a mistake. Only traits in the eye that hold true each and every time are used. The eye should be placed high in the head. If you extend an imaginary line from the slit between the upper and lower beak back to the eye. It should be placed at least in the middle of the line or better yet above the line. Good eyes come in all colors but most have a lot of contrast or granulation in the iris. Stay away from large pupils. A good circle of correlation around the pupil is very important. If the circle of correlation becomes too thin in the make up of the family then the family as a whole is on its way down. Eye movement or quick dilation is an added plus. I am not into speed, distance lines or even clusters. For every bird with speed lines I can show you another that is a top short distance racer that has no speed lines and so on.

Number 2 : Throat

The throat is my favorite. Even at an early age you can tell if this bird will be a top breeder. Not 90% but 100% of the top breeders in the world that I have handled all have great throats. I look for several things while I have the beak open: Starting with health. No dark redness in color or signs of canker. The opening in the back of the larynx or tongue should be in the shape of an oval, not completely open or round. This opening is used for extra oxygen when needed. If it is wide open already then you have no extra oxygen supply if needed. A hen that is in labor will have an enlarged opening but remember she is in labor and has the extra added stress at this time. At the back of the throat you can see two sheets hanging down that come together from the top of the throat

Number 5 : Skeleton

called curtains. The best breeders have a very

thin line between the curtains, no wider than a human hair. The birds that have a wide space or curved line between the curtains need a lot of help when it comes to being a great breeder. Behind the Curtains there is a vein that carries the oxygen to the brain. In the good breeders you can see this vein very easily. In the best breeders this vein rather than going straight up will be curved or better yet twisted then extends upward. This shaped vein will carry more oxygen to the brain than the others.

Number 3 : Character

The true will or fight of the pigeon. Many fanciers believed that pulling or tugging the beak as seen by Pet de Weerd was the only way he judged character. This was not true. There are 3 good ways of checking for character that I use. The first one and best one is what the Germans call a ringer. Pigeons that when picked up will fight to be free. Then comes the tugging of the beak. A pigeon that does not want their beak held also has character. After these two tests if you still find no response than I will place my finger under the wing of the pigeon to give it some support. If the bird's wing when extended vibrates this is also good vitality or character sign. You do not need positive results in all three tests. If none of the 3 tests are positive then the bird is plain lazy. Lazy birds will not win races and will pass this trait on to their offspring.

Number 4 : Balance and Buoyancy

For a pigeon to travel an extended distance he must be balanced. Checking the balance of a pigeon comes with practice. A pigeon placed in your hand should just lay there, not front or rear heavy. It is an added plus if the birds are also buoyant. Buoyant pigeons are very light in the hand. Light as cork the saying goes. Some pigeons seem to be buoyant all the time while others get more buoyant as they get into form.

The Skeleton of a pigeon is compared to the foundation of a house. Without a good foundation the house or the pigeon in this case can be worthless. The breast bone should not be very thin. The 2 back vent bones or cartilage holding in the cut of the pigeon should not be thin and very flexible. If you can move the vent bones back and forth too easily this is a bad trait. Never mate two birds that have this bad trait together. While applying a little pressure on the rump of a pigeon no sound should be heard. If a pigeon is weak in this area he will make a grunting sound. In this case the body structure is not perfect. Regarding the wing: I also like to see a medium or short forearm. I like to compare the wing structure of a pigeon to the oar of a row boat having 3 main parts. First the handle section) then the pivot point and last the extremity. The handle or the forearm in the case of the pigeon should be short. This gives greater movement to the extremity. Moving the pivot point out creates a longer forearm giving you less leverage at the other end.

I am not a wing man but I do like to see the last 3 flight feathers well ventilated. Not too sharp like a steak knife and not to wide like a butter knife.

Number 6 : Feather Quality

All top families of pigeons have great feather quality. The feather covering being excellent and the texture of the feathers very soft and smooth. The smoother the feather the less drag you have. Extra drag over several hundred miles can and will wear a pigeon down. Knowing the difference between a very good feather quality and just the average pigeon comes with practice. By placing other fancier's race birds into the basket, in a short period of time, you will be able to tell the difference between good or bad feather quality. Loft sanitation, feed mixtures including quality of grain can all add or decrease the feather quality as well. To much direct sun will also fade and diminish feather quality.

Back to top Go down
Alex
Youngbird
Youngbird
Alex

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 3:52 am

The eye part is intresting, something I was saying to David the other day, about a couple of birds I had seen with eyes high up, near the top of the head, then that says the person likes to see the eyes high up.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 3:57 am

alex, dont worry yourself too much over eyesign.................. No feeding, exercising and management are more important. cat
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 3:58 am

DAVID wrote:
alex, dont worry yourself too much over eyesign.................. No feeding, exercising and management are more important. cat
david this is a guide for breeding better birds
Back to top Go down
Alex
Youngbird
Youngbird
Alex

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 4:01 am

DAVID wrote:

Yes david, dont think anything to eyesign mate...not at all. What I do like though is to see the eyes really high up.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 4:14 am

dont get me wrong alex, i too like to see a nice rich eye and do think that certain types of eyes within a family do perform better then others...........if a fancier has had a certain family for a few years he will get to know which are the ones to look out for, but personally i dont take too much notice of the eye when selecting pairings as my way of choosing will be best to best or if im successfull racing in the future it will be winner to winner..... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Alex
Youngbird
Youngbird
Alex

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 4:18 am

yes your right david, like the eyes to be bright but wouldnt pair purely by eyes
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 4:24 am

alex, i once saw on a big site a couple of years ago a member put a few eye pictures on.........these eyes looked absolutely fantastic and he asked other members for their opinion on them and which they thought would breed winners or would be winners racing.

the topic got all sorts of wierd and wonderful theories as to which birds would do well and everyone thought they knew it all, until the poster finally told them all they eyes belonged to fantails..............

need i say more.
Back to top Go down
Alex
Youngbird
Youngbird
Alex

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 4:36 am

Just proves how reliable eyesign is Laughing
Back to top Go down
Lightning
Hatchling
Hatchling
Lightning

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 5:13 am

interesting Ian, makes you wonder
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 5:54 am

Lightning wrote:
yes i know got me guessing now
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 7:27 am

Lightning wrote:

Will agree
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 7:42 am

are you sure don cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 9:02 am

Yes
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 10:42 am

what you all wondering and agreeing on.............. scratch
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 4:24 am

about the different methods 0f grading pigens
Back to top Go down
spencerline
Hatchling
Hatchling
spencerline

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 3:32 am

Well next year 2013 for me because here we dont race young pigeons I will give you the full low down on eyesign results as I will have 100 yearlings to race in 2013 bred only from eyesign pairings. All the parents will have been selected from 130 odd random old pigeons, for their eyes by their eyes to breed for racers and younger stock.

It will probably be the best ever test of eyesign, the task for the birds will be making the top 20 % of the race result on a weekly basis as is the way we race here in Portugal. It will be a simple maths sum to determine random against eyesign.

No good knocking eyesign if you dont understand it fully. Many people select by body and thats CRAP because for every 1 good bodied bird that is consistant there are 100 more that are not. The problem with just blindly putting best to best is that eventually you breed the circle of correlation out of the family of birds. (the ring around the pupil) sometimes the pairings are lucky and for a while breed winners but you can see when someone has been linebreeding too much in the eyes of the offspring and when a cross Usually a hen is needed to be brought in.

I do not proffess to be an eyesign expert but I can get a pigeon fit and healthy to do a job at the very highest level as I have already done , A pigeon is not an ornament to look at and make excuses for and if it doesnt work consistantly Hard its gone from the loft whatever its pedigree.
I think that the results of my experiment on a huge scale with the help of an eyesign expert to breed the young will prove the case one way or another.

I will of course post all eyes from the super eyes on here for you to see before the 2013 race year, it will be fun and hopefully because I am in the position to do so and because I have the drive I can finally put this argument to bed, lol Kev.

Back to top Go down
http://www.algarvepigeonracing.webs.com
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 5:51 am

hi kev, im sorry to say you will never put the arguement of eyesign to bed............lol, its just like any other theory, there is no hard facts of which eye will win races or breed winners......the % of winners bred on eyesign alone is no more than birds bred on wing, tail theory, infact if eyesign was a proven fact these eyesign experts would be unbeatable either racing or breeding and also they would only need keep proven birds in their lofts to breed the minimum amount of ybs,

i doubt if these renowned eyesign experts are amoung the top flyers in the uk........
Back to top Go down
spencerline
Hatchling
Hatchling
spencerline

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 6:06 am

David wrote:
hi kev, im sorry to say you will never put the arguement of eyesign to bed............lol, its just like any other theory, there is no hard facts of which eye will win races or breed winners......the % of winners bred on eyesign alone is no more than birds bred on wing, tail theory, infact if eyesign was a proven fact these eyesign experts would be unbeatable either racing or breeding and also they would only need keep proven birds in their lofts to breed the minimum amount of ybs,

i doubt if these renowned eyesign experts are amoung the top flyers in the uk........

hi David, I will put it to bed for me as I fully understand statistical analysis and the chances of probability, whether or not it suits anybody else is their prerogative. I will know. As I Have already said and common sense implies . Why should an eysign expert be a good racer of pigeons, surely they are more likely to be a great breeder of pigeons.

Olympic athletes and footballers have many people picking and deciding when and where or if they will play and these people choosing them have never competed at the highest level of sport but can find people who can compete.

As long as I can prove it to myself with statistical analysis then that is all that matters , if i cannot then I will also say so. It will be my scientific experiment and the result will be a fact one way or the other, not open any more to any discussion with me. lol Kev
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 6:23 am

let us know your findings kev i would be most interested in fact i have 3 pairings in mind based on eyesign myself atb
Back to top Go down
spencerline
Hatchling
Hatchling
spencerline

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 6:38 am

Hi Darren . I will do but as I say the birds in question will not be paired together until Decenber this year to breed YBs that will race as yearlings in 2013.
I have though brought maybe foolishly at great expense as you know some Roland Janssens here to Portugal( as they will jump in at 165 miles) from Louella lofts and my eyesign man Myron Kulik says that a lot of the birds I have bred from the pure pair are blow home racing machines and I never told him the parentage, but he is correct they will race from March this year
Contary to popular belief it takes a special pigeon to win in a blow home contest just as much as it does in a facewind race

I hope he is right because we always get stuffed at our loft location in a blow home normaly, and rise to the top in a tougher race . I believe These Roland Janssens if you cross them will do any distance. time will tell lol , Kev
Back to top Go down
GRIZZLECOCK
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 7:04 am

spencerline wrote:
Well next year 2013 for me because here we dont race young pigeons I will give you the full low down on eyesign results as I will have 100 yearlings to race in 2013 bred only from eyesign pairings. All the parents will have been selected from 130 odd random old pigeons, for their eyes by their eyes to breed for racers and younger stock.

It will probably be the best ever test of eyesign, the task for the birds will be making the top 20 % of the race result on a weekly basis as is the way we race here in Portugal. It will be a simple maths sum to determine random against eyesign.

No good knocking eyesign if you dont understand it fully. Many people select by body and thats CRAP because for every 1 good bodied bird that is consistant there are 100 more that are not. The problem with just blindly putting best to best is that eventually you breed the circle of correlation out of the family of birds. (the ring around the pupil) sometimes the pairings are lucky and for a while breed winners but you can see when someone has been linebreeding too much in the eyes of the offspring and when a cross Usually a hen is needed to be brought in.

I do not proffess to be an eyesign expert but I can get a pigeon fit and healthy to do a job at the very highest level as I have already done , A pigeon is not an ornament to look at and make excuses for and if it doesnt work consistantly Hard its gone from the loft whatever its pedigree.
I think that the results of my experiment on a huge scale with the help of an eyesign expert to breed the young will prove the case one way or another.

I will of course post all eyes from the super eyes on here for you to see before the 2013 race year, it will be fun and hopefully because I am in the position to do so and because I have the drive I can finally put this argument to bed, lol Kev.

Hi spence,its a nice thought,but it will prove nothing whatsoever mate,130 as a test,your having a laugh,100,000 might just give a few leanings,but its an impossiblity,you can never conduct a proper test,way to many variables mate,even test birds in different sections lower or higher perches will give hiccups in the theroy,,perhaps bit more air,sunlight,kitchen/streetlights playing on loft in evening,the list goes on forever mate,but if it makes bit of intrest for you ,go ahead
Back to top Go down
spencerline
Hatchling
Hatchling
spencerline

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 7:15 am

Hi Grizzle cock, it will prove everyting to me as the breeders have been chosen from 130 possible breeding birds to breed young to race against thousands of other birds every week and here in portugal we have 3 races on the same day at different distances, besides that my control is the other birds from the other breeders we have that are mated together via race results(4 years of those birds)

The top 20 percent count in the official result so it is a simple Maths equation to see if the (CHOSEN ONES) are over acheieving against not only the thousands of other fanciers birds in this Hotbed of pigeon racing but their loftmates too. Kev
Back to top Go down
spencerline
Hatchling
Hatchling
spencerline

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 7:25 am

Hi Grizzlecock, I forgot to add that in my opinion the greatest test would be oneloft races , where all birds get the same treatment. What perch they get is what perch they earn thats where their character kicks in.

If you gotta mollycoddle birds I dont want them, the cream will rise to the top when the chips are dowm, surely that is why we feed them the very best corn and look after their health.
Back to top Go down
GRIZZLECOCK
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 7:41 am

spencerline wrote:
Hi Grizzlecock, I forgot to add that in my opinion the greatest test would be oneloft races , where all birds get the same treatment. What perch they get is what perch they earn thats where their character kicks in.

If you gotta mollycoddle birds I dont want them, the cream will rise to the top when the chips are dowm, surely that is why we feed them the very best corn and look after their health.

Why do you think all the birds would get the same treatment,impossible mate,can never happen,each section will have variables,in everything from time factors of sunshine,airflow,even from perch to perch, what they eat,how much they drink,what type of grit they bother to take,where they stand or lay in the basket, the list is never ending,to many possibles or probables to contend with.
Why should you moddycoddle birds,and why would you think the cream will rise to the top,no way mate,the birds that adjust fast enough will usually get results in the 1st season,if you could continue through their yearling stage,2/3/4/5/6/7 year olds would probable tell you a totally different story.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: breeding better pigeons   breeding better pigeons Empty

Back to top Go down

breeding better pigeons
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next