Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 11:50 am

» escaped birds return
summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 11:40 am

» Good Morning
summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 Emptyby barnie Today at 11:35 am

» Weather today
summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 Emptyby oldstrain Today at 10:53 am

» good luck weekend
summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 7:05 am

» Scandalous .......
summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 Emptyby Knackered Today at 12:23 am

» RPRA Race Program
summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:49 pm

» RPRA Rule Book
summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:25 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 99 users online :: 2 Registered, 0 Hidden and 97 Guests :: 2 Bots

barnie, George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 Vote_lcapsummerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 Voting_barsummerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 Vote_lcapsummerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 Voting_barsummerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
Knackered
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222590 messages in 14001 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

summerset one loft race latest update

Go down 
+9
spencerline
Ginger
lvlasked
Rene A
Alex
Rudderfett
IANYOUNG
David
birdy2011
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Alex
Youngbird
Youngbird
Alex

summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: summerset one loft race latest update   summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 12:24 pm

10.45 am still no sign of pigeons, not long till the race ends now....
Back to top Go down
lvlasked
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: summerset one loft race latest update   summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 12:25 pm

alex what did you wana ask me yesaday i pm you but you not replyed
Back to top Go down
http://cing.co.uk/
Alex
Youngbird
Youngbird
Alex

PostSubject: Re: summerset one loft race latest update   summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 12:34 pm

sorry mate thought i did will pm you now
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: summerset one loft race latest update   summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 12:36 pm

no birds out of around 250 what a disater , mind you like g says i would rather win with the combine than the somerset race , as you are winning against 20,000 birds not 250
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: summerset one loft race latest update   summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 6:39 pm

i see the midlands national flying club hasnt liberated from Carentan today due to bad weather,its good to see an organisation looking after the pigeons welfare for once.......
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: summerset one loft race latest update   summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 6:47 pm

just been reading on another site about if a bird is reported found, what would happen as the race is still open .....? will it win the race if returned before the deadline ?
Back to top Go down
Ginger
Youngbird
Youngbird
Ginger

PostSubject: Re: summerset one loft race latest update   summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 7:46 pm

If their is no birds home by monday night the 285 birds that went to the race will all shear the £25, 900 in other words they will be getting between 80 to 90 pound back plus the pool money this is the toughest race they can go to thats why the birds are sent their
Back to top Go down
spencerline
Hatchling
Hatchling
spencerline

PostSubject: Re: summerset one loft race latest update   summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 10:15 pm

Hi I have just returned to Portugal from the Uk where I followed the 2 one loft events, the Europa Classic which was a disaster not only the returns but the terrible updates on the website and the none working web cam that was promised to be working properly on final day. The other was the ill fated Somerset OLR where Terry Williams the organiser delayed the race 3 days due to the bad weather forcasted and the birds were let go in good weather.

The bottom line is it seems the birds didnt have the metal to cross the channel, 310 miles from Belgium was beyond their capabilities and they are probably in Germany. Time will tell if and when they start to be reported, I think Terry has been getting a lot of stick and I do not think he deserves it.

The Somerset race is very well run and the care of the birds is second to none, he even puts them in rehab instead of just keep sending them when they return late.
He is a victim of trying to put on a real test for the birds and as there were less than 300 in the 310mile final they obviously didnt have the bottle to cross the water otherwise one or two would have crawled home by now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.algarvepigeonracing.webs.com
SGWBrown
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: summerset one loft race latest update   summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 10:41 pm

An interesting and balanced review - thanks Spencerline. There's been a lot of disquiet about the Somerset OLR, but from what I've read it's difficult to see what could have been done better; massively disappointing for all involved.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: summerset one loft race latest update   summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 11:17 pm

thanks for your info re the somerset one loft, but do you think 300 miles is a bit too much for ybs ? as you say, obviously its a daunting task for them to attempt to cross the channel and as the weather was reported to be good flying conditions, something is drastically wrong when not one bird out of 285 all flying to the same loft returns home.....

members on our site last season formed a syndicate with four ybs entered, i remember there being very little info on returns and losses......and also basketing lists for the races were very vague..... our members got the impression that when lost birds returned they were quickly put back into training/racing and not given much chance to recover.... scratch
Back to top Go down
spencerline
Hatchling
Hatchling
spencerline

PostSubject: Re: summerset one loft race latest update   summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 11:29 pm

David wrote:
thanks for your info re the somerset one loft, but do you think 300 miles is a bit too much for ybs ? as you say, obviously its a daunting task for them to attempt to cross the channel and as the weather was reported to be good flying conditions, something is drastically wrong when not one bird out of 285 all flying to the same loft returns home.....

members on our site last season formed a syndicate with four ybs entered, i remember there being very little info on returns and losses......and also basketing lists for the races were very vague..... our members got the impression that when lost birds returned they were quickly put back into training/racing and not given much chance to recover.... scratch

I personally think that 310 miles is a long way for young birds but I reckon really good early breds can do it. The fanciers that enter their young birds know what they are letting their birds in for as it is advertised on the website what distance the final test will be so with all due respect they must take some of the blame (if indeed there is any to share) I just think the birds were not up to the task of crossing the channel full stop.

The distance of the race is irrelevant in this case as 99 percent sure the birds never even crossed the channel, so I dont see what more could be done for them.
At the end of the day it is up to the indivdual fanciers whether or not they put the birds in the line of fire and the fanciers that did obviously thought that their birds were up to the task.
Unfortunately it seems the birds were lacking on this occasion.
Back to top Go down
Rene A
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rene A

PostSubject: Re: summerset one loft race latest update   summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 11:32 pm

David there was a race on from tores today some flying upto 400+ miles and they were timing in these were ybs they were libed at 8 15 into a s/sw wind but they were gettin them up there at 400 + mile around 4:50 so no i personaly dont think 300 mile is too far for a YB to fly jmo
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: summerset one loft race latest update   summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 11:34 pm

Rene A wrote:
David there was a race on from tores today some flying upto 400+ miles and they were timing in these were ybs they were libed at 8 15 into a s/sw wind but they were gettin them up there at 400 + mile around 4:50 so no i personaly dont think 300 mile is too far for a YB to fly jmo

Agree there Rene, was that the race organised by the Mr + Mrs Cooper forget the club name for it sorry

Will say its all about the conditioning of the pigeon
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: summerset one loft race latest update   summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 11:37 pm

yes i agree with you there, i dont think they were up to the task of crossing the channel......and like you say some should be up to the challange of crossing it, you would think at least something would have returned home, even in club disasters we get some birds home dont we..........

i think if this one loft race is to continue they might have to rethink sending them over the channel in future, or at least until they gain the trust back of the pigeon world........
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: summerset one loft race latest update   summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 11:40 pm

Rene A wrote:

thanks for the info rene,but even tho they did the 400 miles i still think 300 plus is a lot for ybs..........as spencerline says, they didnt even try to cross the channel so i wonder why....? what would make 285 pigeons scared to cross the water ?
Back to top Go down
Rene A
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rene A

PostSubject: Re: summerset one loft race latest update   summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 11:41 pm

yes Don thats the one i asked if the channel islands were allowed to enter and was told NO scratch god knows why scratch scratch

But then again members of the BBC dont like the channel islands competing

Back to top Go down
Rene A
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rene A

PostSubject: Re: summerset one loft race latest update   summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 11:46 pm

David wrote:
Rene A wrote:

thanks for the info rene,but even tho they did the 400 miles i still think 300 plus is a lot for ybs..........as spencerline says, they didnt even try to cross the channel so i wonder why....? what would make 285 pigeons scared to cross the water ?

dont think we will know the answer to that Q mate tbh affraid
Back to top Go down
Alex
Youngbird
Youngbird
Alex

PostSubject: Re: summerset one loft race latest update   summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 12:20 am

people try to enter only their best into races like this so out of the 285 there has to be a percentage that were bred well enough to complete a race across the chanel, but unforseeable things happen during races so dont think we will ever know the true outcome.
Back to top Go down
spencerline
Hatchling
Hatchling
spencerline

PostSubject: Re: summerset one loft race latest update   summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 10:44 am

I agree the best birds are entered in these races, that is why they regularly beat the national pigeons when they are liberated with them. I think Ritchy Elliots SWOL race over acheived public expectation in the HLFC tours National in 2010 and the Europa One loft race has done similarly in the past in the Welsh National.

My only concern with the Somerset race (and it is not a critisism) is the big jump from Ramsgate 178 miles to Brussels 310 miles over strange land and then the sea. I think maybe the birds would benefit from a race at around 240 miles (before the big one) where they must cross the channel as a dress rehearsal.

Probably half the birds would go down in the penultamate challenge but the birds that did return would have more chance of crossing again in the final.

Last edited by spencerline on Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
spencerline
Hatchling
Hatchling
spencerline

PostSubject: Bird reported   summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 12:15 pm

18th September. 09.00 am No birds in this morning, UPDATE: We have had a bird reported in HOLLAND and it appears the birds went North , completly the wrong way as feared , we will report later if more news

This is the latest news from the ill fated Somerset one loft race.
Back to top Go down
kev d
Youngbird
Youngbird
kev d

PostSubject: Re: summerset one loft race latest update   summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 6:32 pm

on the day of the lib there was no wind as such and it was clear but as they progressed to the
to the coast ie , crossing at the straits of dover in to england they were heading in to 25 mph winds in midd channel and in england sw winds pigeons arn,t stupid they can see things and sense things in advance
so to my reckoning they have been pused right up in to holland and if they have crossed they have been swamped by the waves cos they would have been flying low across the waves in to a head as such some will return in time or start to get reported but you can,t say the pigeons arn,t up to it cos on the day they were defeated by the eliments 300 miles to fit young pigeons is nothing if there prepared right . another thing i know how hard it is for a yb to fly in to the west country in a sw wind as i flew in the yb national 2 weeks ago
mine took 8 hrs to fly 204 miles they get pushed along with the drag and end having to dog leg from around the portsmouth area back in to the west country which is another 94 miles .
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: summerset one loft race latest update   summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 6:33 pm

spencerline wrote:
I agree the best birds are entered in these races, that is why they regularly beat the national pigeons when they are liberated with them. I think Ritchy Elliots SWOL race over acheived public expectation in the HLFC tours National in 2010 and the Europa One loft race has done similarly in the past in the Welsh National.

My only concern with the Somerset race (and it is not a critisism) is the big jump from Ramsgate 178 miles to Brussels 310 miles over strange land and then the sea. I think maybe the birds would benefit from a race at around 240 miles (before the big one) where they must cross the channel as a dress rehearsal.

Probably half the birds would go down in the penultamate challenge but the birds that did return would have more chance of crossing again in the final.

i agree with what youve said, it is a big jump from 178 to 310 with inexperienced ybs......i know in our club racing they jump approx 30 miles as the weeks go on, this is aceptable as it learns them but to jump 132 miles is too much.
Back to top Go down
birdy2011
Oldbird
Oldbird
birdy2011

PostSubject: Re: summerset one loft race latest update   summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 6:35 pm

seems your right kev here is the latest update

18th September. 09.00 am No birds in this morning, UPDATE: We have had a bird reported in HOLLAND and it appears the birds went North , completly the wrong way as feared , we will report later if more news
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: summerset one loft race latest update   summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 6:35 pm

i think if i remember correctly last year when we entered a site sindicate there was only about 4 birds home on the day in the last race.........others came over the next few days tho.

im sure thius was the case, does anyone else remember.....?
Back to top Go down
Ginger
Youngbird
Youngbird
Ginger

PostSubject: Re: summerset one loft race latest update   summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 7:00 pm

their was no birds on the and the 1st bird was swap shop and their was about 5 or 6 race birds home to take the main prizes the rest came home within about 3 weeks

Last edited by Ginger on Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: summerset one loft race latest update   summerset one loft race  latest update - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

summerset one loft race latest update
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next