Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Leeds & District Amalgamation
grit and minerals Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 3:34 pm

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
grit and minerals Emptyby David Today at 12:38 pm

» Good Morning
grit and minerals Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 11:19 am

» Scandalous .......
grit and minerals Emptyby David Today at 9:41 am

» Weather today
grit and minerals Emptyby David Today at 9:30 am

» Morgan's new job
grit and minerals Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:43 pm

» Another find
grit and minerals Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» birds on loan
grit and minerals Emptyby oldstrain Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Garlic .......
grit and minerals Emptyby Knackered Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:07 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) grit and minerals 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 112 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 111 Guests :: 2 Bots

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.grit and minerals Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
grit and minerals Vote_lcapgrit and minerals Voting_bargrit and minerals Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
grit and minerals Vote_lcapgrit and minerals Voting_bargrit and minerals Vote_rcap 
Knackered
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222568 messages in 13998 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
grit and minerals Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
grit and minerals Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

grit and minerals

Go down 
+7
Boosey
Rudderfett
barnie
Don Webb
Knackered
halcanada
oldstrain
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

grit and minerals Empty
PostSubject: grit and minerals   grit and minerals EmptyWed Apr 01, 2015 7:05 pm

just wondering what the alternatives are to science's deformation as to what avian beings may need in this sphere also what may be the outcome to lack of these substances ie bad egg formulation,weak bones in the wing joint or feet or even keel or vent Suspect do members think that our pigeons are an ever prevalent species whereby they may not need what nature intended ...what alternatives have members come by In the absence of nature ...to not consider our feathered friends well being and spend time on catering for fancy pedigrees instead of good basic care will only lead one way ....basically lads ,have the best birds on the market but it wont get you anywhere unless they get the right care and that's before motivation ....don't do 2nd best that's for the rest pirat
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

grit and minerals Empty
PostSubject: Re: grit and minerals   grit and minerals EmptyWed Apr 01, 2015 8:49 pm

Pigeons have been around for hundreds if not thousands of years. So obviously they managed to get all the minerals etc, they need. Of course, they did not race as they do today, so maybe extras are needed? Birds not let out here get a sod. A turf. Others field. Pullet grit and salt is in the loft at all times. Makes me wonder what the original pioneers did for minerals many years ago? Maybe the selection is not so rigid now and birds need the extras? Do not know. With all the additives and supplements, do not see the speeds increasing proportional from years ago. Not from the distance anyway.For all the meds, supplements etc the birds get, pigeon crap must be worth it's weight in gold.
Eating dirt.
grit and minerals 4e1cf859fccc2360538d
grit and minerals Clicklarge3

Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

grit and minerals Empty
PostSubject: Re: grit and minerals   grit and minerals EmptyWed Apr 01, 2015 9:11 pm

fair shout hal I note you provide the main 2 in the form of calcium and sodium also a turf ...unfortunately I don't have the luxury of the countryside here ...if I were to dig up a turf here it would have an empty packet of woodbines and 6 cans Razz atb thanks for the reply
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

grit and minerals Empty
PostSubject: Re: grit and minerals   grit and minerals EmptyWed Apr 01, 2015 9:20 pm

Bath time, snow and mud, birds enjoy it.
grit and minerals 26ba72ed9eb4b1393212

Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

grit and minerals Empty
PostSubject: Re: grit and minerals   grit and minerals EmptyWed Apr 01, 2015 9:57 pm

halcanada wrote:
Bath time, snow and mud, birds enjoy it.
grit and minerals 26ba72ed9eb4b1393212

Great shot Hal Smile Smile Reminds me some what Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes of a champion flyer here, who happily let's his birds bath with his chooks for the enjoyment factor, while playing in his yard. Now !!! bounce bounce . Nice lofts, about the same vintage ??? as K's lol! lol! lol! & mine. cheers
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

grit and minerals Empty
PostSubject: Re: grit and minerals   grit and minerals EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 10:08 am

Nothing wrong with that Halcanada if you like this but everyone to there own

I know alot of fanciers who leave there pigeons on open hole which allows the pigeons to do what ever they want
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

grit and minerals Empty
PostSubject: Re: grit and minerals   grit and minerals EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 10:08 am

Nothing wrong with that Halcanada if you like this but everyone to there own

I know alot of fanciers who leave there pigeons on open hole which allows the pigeons to do what ever they want
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

grit and minerals Empty
PostSubject: Re: grit and minerals   grit and minerals EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 10:48 am

You can give your birds all kinds of supplements, pickstones, grits etc but sometimes they will still drop if they see other pigeons picking in the fields or barn tops. They just get attracted by them.
20 years or more ago there was a massive opencast mine site half a mile behind our lofts. There was a massive heap of clay-type material that had been scraped and stashed while the coal was collected. This heap was so big it was like an old pit heap in size.
One lads birds started dropping there, and he was a fancier who never really put a lot of effort in to his birds welfare so these pigeons were likely looking for something in the way of minerals. In a short time dozens of lofts had there birds dropping there and they would stay there all day long, hundreds of pigeons, some travelling from several miles away and from good lofts too. They were just picking about oblivious to the massive plant vehicles trundling past them all day. We had pickstones, grit, the lot down for ours but nothing could stop them going to the heap. Kept them in for a week, kept them hungry, the lot, but as soon as they got out off they went. When they came back they'd drink the drinker dry and the droppings were just yellow slime. There were hardly anyone who could send racing for ages till the heap was levelled and the area landscaped again.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

grit and minerals Empty
PostSubject: Re: grit and minerals   grit and minerals EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 11:17 am

barnie wrote:
You can give your birds all kinds of supplements, pickstones, grits etc but sometimes they will still drop if they see other pigeons picking in the fields or barn tops. They just get attracted by them.
20 years or more ago there was a massive opencast mine site half a mile behind our lofts. There was a massive heap of clay-type material that had been scraped and stashed while the coal was collected. This heap was so big it was like an old pit heap in size.
One lads birds started dropping there, and he was a fancier who never really put a lot of effort in to his birds welfare so these pigeons were likely looking for something in the way of minerals. In a short time dozens of lofts had there birds dropping there and they would stay there all day long, hundreds of pigeons, some travelling from several miles away and from good lofts too. They were just picking about oblivious to the massive plant vehicles trundling past them all day. We had pickstones, grit, the lot down for ours but nothing could stop them going to the heap. Kept them in for a week, kept them hungry, the lot, but as soon as they got out off they went. When they came back they'd drink the drinker dry and the droppings were just yellow slime. There were hardly anyone who could send racing for ages till the heap was levelled and the area landscaped again.

good post barnie ...it only takes one idiots pigeons and the rest drop like sheep must have been a nightmare
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

grit and minerals Empty
PostSubject: Re: grit and minerals   grit and minerals EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 12:52 pm

There are many roads to Rome. I am not suggesting people change. The main loft is junk. Pulling it down after this season. Two small ones go up. 6 x 8. So have to eliminate birds. nly way I can do that is race them hard. They should cull themselves. But again, each to their own.
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

grit and minerals Empty
PostSubject: Re: grit and minerals   grit and minerals EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 1:50 pm

halcanada wrote:
There are many roads to Rome. I am not suggesting people change. The main loft is junk. Pulling it down after this season. Two small ones go up. 6 x 8. So have to eliminate birds. nly way I can do that is race them hard. They should cull themselves. But again, each to their own.

halcanada your spot on many roads lead to Rome there's nothing wrong with that mate
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

grit and minerals Empty
PostSubject: Re: grit and minerals   grit and minerals EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 12:58 am

halcanada wrote:

Never feel ashamed of your loft Smile Smile Hal etc. Birds happy/healthy you should be happy Wink Wink Be sides Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes if you ever get down in the dumps Wink Wink lol! lol! lol! I will post up 2 convict lofts here bounce bounce  that will make you feel as if your in paradise, with what you have. cheers
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

grit and minerals Empty
PostSubject: Re: grit and minerals   grit and minerals EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 9:32 am

Knackered wrote:
halcanada wrote:

Never feel ashamed of your loft Smile Smile Hal etc. Birds happy/healthy you should be happy Wink Wink Be sides Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes if you ever get down in the dumps Wink Wink lol! lol! lol! I will post up 2 convict lofts here bounce bounce  that will make you feel as if your in paradise, with what you have. cheers

agree...seen plenty fancy lofts where the inhabitants have been down ,keeping them healthy and happy is the main criteria cheers
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

grit and minerals Empty
PostSubject: Re: grit and minerals   grit and minerals EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 10:14 am

halcanada wrote:

Halcanada it's not all about the loft mate if the pigeons are happy and healthy that's all that matters
I have seen loads of lofts in my time and having the best does not mean you can gaureentee success

The most successful lofts are old and dropping apart but the pigeons are pure quality and most important happy in them
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

grit and minerals Empty
PostSubject: Re: grit and minerals   grit and minerals EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 12:57 pm

So true Don.
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

grit and minerals Empty
PostSubject: Re: grit and minerals   grit and minerals EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 3:12 pm

Rudderfett wrote:
So true Don.

Cheers Martyn ( but what was right ) lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

grit and minerals Empty
PostSubject: Re: grit and minerals   grit and minerals EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 8:03 pm

Bought a mineral block today. $2.
grit and minerals 9de55ddacc0f9a8c2f38

Back to top Go down
Boosey
Youngbird
Youngbird
Boosey

grit and minerals Empty
PostSubject: Re: grit and minerals   grit and minerals EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 8:53 pm

Are you sure someone hasn't sold you a house brick Hal. pale
Back to top Go down
Boosey
Youngbird
Youngbird
Boosey

grit and minerals Empty
PostSubject: Re: grit and minerals   grit and minerals EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 8:55 pm

How do they get at it Hal can they break bits off, it looks hard in the picture, or do you break it up.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

grit and minerals Empty
PostSubject: Re: grit and minerals   grit and minerals EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 9:25 pm

looks like the horse lick block ...hammer job
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

grit and minerals Empty
PostSubject: Re: grit and minerals   grit and minerals EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 12:29 am

oldstrain wrote:
looks like the horse lick block ...hammer job

True, "Horse lick block" not a bad price tho $2. Cost 5 times that Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad down here in my neck of the woods etc. cheers
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

grit and minerals Empty
PostSubject: Re: grit and minerals   grit and minerals EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 3:22 am

Yes hammer job.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

grit and minerals Empty
PostSubject: Re: grit and minerals   grit and minerals EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 9:41 am

a good quality horse lick with all the goodies in toe would cost about £7 at my local suppliers
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

grit and minerals Empty
PostSubject: Re: grit and minerals   grit and minerals EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 11:37 am

Rabbit spools of minerals will work. Pigeons lick them. another method.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHZ_Ek6NdwY
Back to top Go down
Romedius
Hatchling
Hatchling
Romedius

grit and minerals Empty
PostSubject: Re: grit and minerals   grit and minerals EmptyMon Dec 18, 2017 1:46 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I could use some advice. My birds get no pellets in their feed, and if I'm understanding things correctly alot of birds get their extra salt from the feed in pellets. The only pigeon grit that I can pickup is Winners Cup red. It has some salt in it as well as oyster shell. I mix 1/2 pure oyster she'll with the winners cup grit. They have really slowed down on the grit intake since the onset of winter.
I can get them mineral blocks in any form as well as the he loose salt minerals from the feed store.
I USE to have a 200 doe rabbitry and would buy the spools by the case. Is this the same mineral blocks that everyone else is mentioning here? I will be pairing the racers up in febuary. I would like to head off any issues before the crop up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

grit and minerals Empty
PostSubject: Re: grit and minerals   grit and minerals Empty

Back to top Go down

grit and minerals
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next