Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 5:08 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:48 am

» Weather today
Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 Emptyby David Yesterday at 10:31 am

» BHW Subscriptions
Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

» King removes Patronage
Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

» escaped birds return
Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 10:25 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 Emptyby George & Morgan Mon May 06, 2024 4:58 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 Emptyby David Mon May 06, 2024 4:53 pm

» Scandalous .......
Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 47 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 47 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 Resise10
Top posting users this week
No user
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222795 messages in 14005 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 Vote_lcapFred Holbard.......... - Page 2 Voting_barFred Holbard.......... - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
oldstrain
Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 Vote_lcapFred Holbard.......... - Page 2 Voting_barFred Holbard.......... - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Fred Holbard..........

Go down 
+6
dark_chequer
Don Webb
IANYOUNG
fred holbard
friendsloft
David
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
dark_chequer
Hatchling
Hatchling
dark_chequer

Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fred Holbard..........   Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 6:09 am

Some great reading on this thread. nice one guys Very Happy
Back to top Go down
steve1952
Youngbird
Youngbird
steve1952

PostSubject: Re: Fred Holbard..........   Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 6:30 am

yes a lot picked up reading these posts
Back to top Go down
fred holbard
Hatchling
Hatchling
fred holbard

PostSubject: Re: Fred Holbard..........   Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 7:46 am

Hi David

That's exactly what I do, i hour from the first bird home, again yearlings are slightly different, hens are always there when they get home on race days.
Back to top Go down
http://www.eliteoffsetprinters.co.uk
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: Fred Holbard..........   Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 6:30 pm

the harder and longer the race the longer i leave the hens in , also if i think they are loosing there keeness then i will leave hens in until morning, late ones back dont get hen at all,
Back to top Go down
fred holbard
Hatchling
Hatchling
fred holbard

PostSubject: Re: Fred Holbard..........   Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 5:16 pm

Hi Ian

I'm a bit different from you
(it wouldn't be any good if we were all the same, would it?)

I never leave my hens in overnight ever, unless we have a smash, and most of the birds are missing, which fortunately doesn't happen that often half the time the cock is better on his own and recovers better, JMHO

Please don't think I'm knocking your way, as many roads.......and all that

I think if the cocks are losing their keenness, the less they see of their hens the better, again this is just me. (absents makes the heart grow fonder) and I agree about late ones, except yearlings which are still learning the game

ATB

fred
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: Fred Holbard..........   Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 7:35 pm

yes like you say everyones different , i appreciate you being honest many would just agree , like you say if we were all the same then the world would be a boring place , i know many people re pair up towards the end of the season to try and get abit more out of the cocks ,tried it before and worked for one race ,topped the fed that week but only for the one race they were crap after that so wont be doing that again, made a note just to remind me
Back to top Go down
fred holbard
Hatchling
Hatchling
fred holbard

PostSubject: Re: Fred Holbard..........   Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 7:52 pm

Here's a little tip for you Ian, if you've got a comeback race after the last old bird long one, repair them on the Sunday of the long-un, they'll be driving for the comeback race, normally works for me, I only like to do it the once though.

Regards

Fred
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: Fred Holbard..........   Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 8:04 pm

thanks fred ill try that ,like you say only seems to work for one race
Back to top Go down
fred holbard
Hatchling
Hatchling
fred holbard

PostSubject: Re: Fred Holbard..........   Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 10:48 pm

Quote:

fred if you dont mind me asking do you fly widowhood how many old birds do yu fly and how do you fly your youngbirds , ie darkie paired up seperated or any thing else

Hi Ian
I fly widowhood cocks old birds, this year I have 30 cocks, 10 are my combine cocks
and twenty are for allround, a big team I know, but they don't all go every week.

My youngsters are all on the dark, seperated and/or paired, I like to catch pair my hens to old cocks, ie 2 or 3 young hens to one old cock

Fred
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Fred Holbard..........   Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 11:07 pm

hi fred, im just re-starting racing this year again with ybs, what is your opinion to flying darkness ybs on roundabout......i was thinking of seperating sexes when they start to show signs of if they are cock or hen and have the cocks in a section with widowhood boxes and the hens to perches and then use the normal roundabout system......
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: Fred Holbard..........   Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 11:24 pm

fred holbard wrote:
Quote:

fred if you dont mind me asking do you fly widowhood how many old birds do yu fly and how do you fly your youngbirds , ie darkie paired up seperated or any thing else

Hi Ian
I fly widowhood cocks old birds, this year I have 30 cocks, 10 are my combine cocks
and twenty are for allround, a big team I know, but they don't all go every week.

My youngsters are all on the dark, seperated and/or paired, I like to catch pair my hens to old cocks, ie 2 or 3 young hens to one old cock

Fred
i myself race 24 widowhood cocks , i race my youngbirds on the dark system i leave them together and let them pair up i put nestpans in youngbird loft to encourage this,
Back to top Go down
fred holbard
Hatchling
Hatchling
fred holbard

PostSubject: Re: Fred Holbard..........   Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 7:37 am

DAVID wrote:
hi fred, im just re-starting racing this year again with ybs, what is your opinion to flying darkness ybs on roundabout......i was thinking of seperating sexes when they start to show signs of if they are cock or hen and have the cocks in a section with widowhood boxes and the hens to perches and then use the normal roundabout system......

I've been racing young birds on the door system off and on since 1985, it's similar to roundabout, but they stay in their own section, and here's a great tip for everyone, they exercise a lot better on their own, especially the hens, they say darkness youngsters don't run - mine do - two and a half hours last year.
I wish you well in your first year back, I bet you can't wait
Back to top Go down
fred holbard
Hatchling
Hatchling
fred holbard

PostSubject: Re: Fred Holbard..........   Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 7:41 am

Fred[/quote]
i myself race 24 widowhood cocks , i race my youngbirds on the dark system i leave them together and let them pair up i put nestpans in youngbird loft to encourage this,[/quote]

Similar to myself, although I race to the door, I let them pair at either end of the programme, depending how I feel, keep em guessing!
Back to top Go down
steve1952
Youngbird
Youngbird
steve1952

PostSubject: Re: Fred Holbard..........   Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 8:48 am

fred holbard wrote:
DAVID wrote:

I've been racing young birds on the door system off and on since 1985, it's similar to roundabout, but they stay in their own section, and here's a great tip for everyone, they exercise a lot better on their own, especially the hens, they say darkness youngsters don't run - mine do - two and a half hours last year.
I wish you well in your first year back, I bet you can't wait
i cant wait, but its been a very big help all info were getting from members
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: Fred Holbard..........   Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 12:55 pm

sure you will be ok david, steve just comittment is what you need the rest will follow
Back to top Go down
dark_chequer
Hatchling
Hatchling
dark_chequer

PostSubject: Re: Fred Holbard..........   Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 6:19 pm

David like Ian says you will be fine. How many of us are having their first full season this year?
Its my first season flying up north.

Amanda
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Fred Holbard..........   Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 8:14 pm

Fair play Fred top man, like the honesty
Back to top Go down
fred holbard
Hatchling
Hatchling
fred holbard

PostSubject: Re: Fred Holbard..........   Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 8:21 pm

Thank you for that Don, I'm always honest with my replies, there are no secrets, most of it's common sense, but as my old dad used to say "the trouble with common sense is - it aint that common Laughing
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Fred Holbard..........   Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 8:23 pm

You are correct with that mate
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Fred Holbard..........   Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 8:25 pm

But the other thing is observation just spending time with your pigeons and seeing what they do different
Back to top Go down
fred holbard
Hatchling
Hatchling
fred holbard

PostSubject: Re: Fred Holbard..........   Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 8:32 pm

Here's one for you Don, I don't know how long you've had pigeons for, but sit in with your birds for a while - mainly when they're paired up, try to be as quite and unassuming as you can be, no talking to them or offering them titbits, now here's the thing, you should be able to hear them purring - yes purring like a cat, You may think I'm Barking (no pun intended) but I heard this years ago with my old Busschaerts, I spoke to my club mates about it and they thought I was mad, but I had it confirmed by Chris Balson on another site, he had the same, and it is that they are content, happy you are in there domain.

Any one else notice this
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: Fred Holbard..........   Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 9:04 pm

yes your right fred have heard of this
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Fred Holbard..........   Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 9:50 pm

hi fred, when you have raced the ybs to their own section as widowhood, do you use the same method as widowhood cocks and show the hen before basketing....? if so, altho it would motivate the cock how do you motivate the hen as she wouldnt be normally in the nestbox section so would only have a perch in the hens section......
Back to top Go down
fred holbard
Hatchling
Hatchling
fred holbard

PostSubject: Re: Fred Holbard..........   Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 9:56 pm

Hi David, I've got three sections in my young bird shed, it's the one I wrote about in the ventilation thread, one is set up with pipo boxes, 8x6 one has got foot by foot by foot box perches for the hens 8x6 the centre section has eight widowhood boxes, but I only had 4 cocks in there this year (paired to old hens)
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Fred Holbard..........   Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 10:02 pm

ah right, so you dont actually have young hens paired to young cocks if you are flying them on a widowhood type system..........? good idea to put young cocks to old hens as the hen will always be there upon their return,
do you think i should just concentrate on putting the ybs on the dark and racing them to the perch with this being my first racing after all the years away and just keep everything simple....or have a go at some sort of widowhood/roundabout ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fred Holbard..........   Fred Holbard.......... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Fred Holbard..........
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next