Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 Emptyby David Today at 11:34 am

» King removes Patronage
deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 Emptyby David Today at 10:33 am

» Weather today
deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 10:32 am

» escaped birds return
deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 Emptyby David Today at 10:25 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 Emptyby George & Morgan Mon May 06, 2024 4:58 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 Emptyby David Mon May 06, 2024 4:53 pm

» Scandalous .......
deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 am

» yb national winner
deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 Emptyby George & Morgan Sat May 04, 2024 9:30 am

» good luck weekend
deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 Emptyby Knackered Thu May 02, 2024 9:16 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 54 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 54 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 Vote_lcapdeep litter or bare floors - Page 2 Voting_bardeep litter or bare floors - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
David
deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 Vote_lcapdeep litter or bare floors - Page 2 Voting_bardeep litter or bare floors - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222756 messages in 14003 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

deep litter or bare floors

Go down 
+18
delbar
Alex
redwhitepied
Lightning
highflyerboy
oldstrain
spencerline
friendsloft
notykinlofts
littlehen
DOVEScot
peel bros
dark_chequer
Grizzle cock
Don Webb
David
Bricoux
IANYOUNG
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: deep litter or bare floors   deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 EmptyThu May 14, 2009 9:32 pm

what do you do amanda, clean out and use floor whitener or deep litter...or maybe something else?
in my stock shed when they are breeding i put straw down for them, dont know if its what many would do but its ok for me...and i clean the perches and boxes where they sit every day.
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: deep litter or bare floors   deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 EmptyThu May 14, 2009 11:13 pm

When racing with my dad we had deep litter and dad would clean out every weekend, the deep litter was a mixture of sand, cat litter, and lime, and he would sive the sand to remove the dropping the dust was really bad and it was after a disagreement that my dad tried bare floor and he was the one who said i wish i had done it sooner it was faster to clean out and you were able to see the condition of the pigeons far better
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: deep litter or bare floors   deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 EmptyThu May 14, 2009 11:21 pm

When using lime an old fancier i used to visit was Billy O'Neil and he used lime the way he used it was to get a bake bean tin can size drill a few holes in the base place a few pebbles and a small handful of lime then shake the tin over the boxes or were you want the lime to be placed, by doing it this way you are not having large amounts in the air/dust then ytou just bush it up you only use a small amount then once you have finished the lime that is left can be placed on the garden as lime is good for the soil that is if any of you are gardeners
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: deep litter or bare floors   deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 EmptyThu May 14, 2009 11:34 pm

hi don, i use straw in my stock shed and i think you are right about the dust as even with using straw when i move it about its very dusty...and another thing ive often wondered is when i put down a full bag of straw where does it all go ?after a few weeks half of it has gone and i dont know how ....any thoughts .?
good tip about the can and the lime, ive used lime in the psat and it gets on the back of my throat so i dont use it....the floor whitener is very good ive found and im wondering if i can still use the tin like youre friend does with it...it would still cut down on the dust... Smile
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: deep litter or bare floors   deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 EmptyFri May 15, 2009 12:04 am

Hi David

yes you can still use the tin with the floor whitener it is just the same as lime a powder and it would cut down the dust

With the straw the first thing is when you are walking on it you are compressing down and reducing the volume of the straw, the second is when you come out of the loft you have some straw on your feet and that may be another reason
Back to top Go down
dark_chequer
Hatchling
Hatchling
dark_chequer

PostSubject: Re: deep litter or bare floors   deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 EmptyFri May 15, 2009 11:39 am

DAVID wrote:
what do you do amanda, clean out and use floor whitener or deep litter...or maybe something else?
in my stock shed when they are breeding i put straw down for them, dont know if its what many would do but its ok for me...and i clean the perches and boxes where they sit every day.

Hi David, i clean out everyday floor and box's and perches and also use harkers loft white on the floor, The stock loft floor gets cleaned every day, if breeding is going on i leave the boxs well alone untill the little ones are feathered. Smile
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: deep litter or bare floors   deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 9:26 pm

anyone else us Embarassed e straw on the stock loft floor ? didnt realise how dusty it is......
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: deep litter or bare floors   deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 10:06 pm

Never used straw on the floor of any loft
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: deep litter or bare floors   deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 10:07 pm

The only time i have used straw wasin the bowls during the breeding season
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: deep litter or bare floors   deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 11:18 pm

read about polystirene (?) chips being used in the nest bowl, says it keeps the heat in and is good for breeding if its cold weather....any thoughts anyone ?
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: deep litter or bare floors   deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 11:25 pm

Never heard of them or used them
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: deep litter or bare floors   deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 11:26 pm

Tobbaco sticks are what i used when breeding
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: deep litter or bare floors   deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 8:27 pm

sually use straw with some sand in the bottom of the bowl....
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

PostSubject: Re: deep litter or bare floors   deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 9:12 pm

never used them,you cannot beat the good old straw
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: deep litter or bare floors   deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 9:13 pm

have you used those nest felt things ray or don...or anyone ?
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: deep litter or bare floors   deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 10:52 pm

No never
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: deep litter or bare floors   deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 10:59 pm

why do fanciers use them, is it for warmth or ease of cleaning out after weaning ?
Back to top Go down
DOVEScot
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)
DOVEScot

PostSubject: Re: deep litter or bare floors   deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 11:12 pm

We or should I say Chickadee scrapes out one loft every day and brushes in loft white or StalosanF, the other loft has three sections and individual aviaries, the aviaries are scraped out every day and loft wite brushed in but the sections are deep litter using hemp core which is raked and treated with SlalosanF once a week. Our four dovecotes are only cleaned out with Aviform as a spray once the young have fledged
We use tobaco stalks but prefer Lavender and heather as it is a lot cheaper and keeps the beasties at bay in the nests
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: deep litter or bare floors   deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 11:16 pm

Have seen some fanciers wrap news paper round the bowl which helps out with the cleaning after weaning
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: deep litter or bare floors   deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 11:17 pm

Nest felts are used i think to help keep the pests at bay????
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: deep litter or bare floors   deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 11:19 pm

i clean out all sections every day and use floor whitener on the floor and the nest boxes.....sometimes its a bit too dusty though as ive yet to fit some vents to the front of the loft for air circulation. so try to use as little as poss....have always used straw and sand in nest bowls but have thought about tabacco stawks??? supposed to keep insects at bay arnt they?
Back to top Go down
DOVEScot
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)
DOVEScot

PostSubject: Re: deep litter or bare floors   deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 11:28 pm

DAVID wrote:
i clean out all sections every day and use floor whitener on the floor and the nest boxes.....sometimes its a bit too dusty though as ive yet to fit some vents to the front of the loft for air circulation. so try to use as little as poss....have always used straw and sand in nest bowls but have thought about tabacco stawks??? supposed to keep insects at bay arnt they?

Yes tobaco stalks do but they are getting dearer and dearer and my Scottish blood looks for the cheaper alternatives such as lavender and heather
I also have tried a beer mat soaked in creosote and left to dry and placed under the nest bowls to keep the bugs away
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: deep litter or bare floors   deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 11:34 pm

Why don't you put a peace of felt in the corner of the nest box and this may help keep the pests at bay also
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: deep litter or bare floors   deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 11:39 pm

yes, ive heard of the beer mat soaked in creasote...in the past ive just used duramitex at the end of the seasoneither sprayed on or mixed with emulsion
Back to top Go down
DOVEScot
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)
DOVEScot

PostSubject: Re: deep litter or bare floors   deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 23, 2009 12:07 am

DAVID wrote:
yes, ive heard of the beer mat soaked in creasote...in the past ive just used duramitex at the end of the seasoneither sprayed on or mixed with emulsion

We use Duramitex on the perches but I hear they are stopping supplying it deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 138-1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: deep litter or bare floors   deep litter or bare floors - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

deep litter or bare floors
Page 2 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next