Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
Winter breeding. - Page 2 Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 8:02 pm

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Winter breeding. - Page 2 Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 3:34 pm

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
Winter breeding. - Page 2 Emptyby David Today at 12:38 pm

» Good Morning
Winter breeding. - Page 2 Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 11:19 am

» Scandalous .......
Winter breeding. - Page 2 Emptyby David Today at 9:41 am

» Morgan's new job
Winter breeding. - Page 2 Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:43 pm

» Another find
Winter breeding. - Page 2 Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» birds on loan
Winter breeding. - Page 2 Emptyby oldstrain Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Garlic .......
Winter breeding. - Page 2 Emptyby Knackered Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:07 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Winter breeding. - Page 2 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 117 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 116 Guests :: 2 Bots

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Winter breeding. - Page 2 Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
Winter breeding. - Page 2 Vote_lcapWinter breeding. - Page 2 Voting_barWinter breeding. - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
Winter breeding. - Page 2 Vote_lcapWinter breeding. - Page 2 Voting_barWinter breeding. - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
Knackered
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222569 messages in 13998 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Winter breeding. - Page 2 Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Winter breeding. - Page 2 Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Winter breeding.

Go down 
+3
fieldwalker
David
halcanada
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Romedius
Hatchling
Hatchling
Romedius

Winter breeding. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 24, 2017 5:14 am

fieldwalker wrote:
Got 1 solar panel for the clock but only the suit case type inside the loft I charge a battery at the start off the season and it lasts

What kind of clocks do you use? I've got to use the benzig system. I built my loft out of leftovers from work, but 1800 dollars for computer magic? Ouch
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 24, 2017 5:35 am

Romedius wrote:
fieldwalker wrote:
Got 1 solar panel for the clock but only the suit case type inside the loft I charge a battery at the start off the season and it lasts

What kind of clocks do you use?  I've got to use the benzig system.  I built my loft out of leftovers from work, but 1800 dollars for computer magic?  Ouch
1800 Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Dont tell the missus/partner Rom Wink Wink. That being said, if your club uses Benzing all looking good etc. President of my club here flogs the Benzing brand & most rate them highly, especially those that save one the travelling side, where they just sent their clocking times in via computor as such, which I suggest will be your scenario hopefully. Just to let you know how far behind I'm Rom Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Smile Smile I still use, a 1958 STB special  lol!  lol!  lol!  Wink Wink.  cheers
Back to top Go down
Romedius
Hatchling
Hatchling
Romedius

PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 24, 2017 6:07 am

[quote="Knackered"]
Romedius wrote:
fieldwalker wrote:

What kind of clocks do you use?  I've got to use the benzig system.  I built my loft out of leftovers from work, but 1800 dollars for computer magic?  Ouch
1800 Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Dont tell the missus/partner Rom Wink Wink. That being said, if your club uses Benzing all looking good etc. President of my club here flogs the Benzing brand & most rate them highly, especially those that save one the travelling side, where they just sent their clocking times in via computor as such, which I suggest will be your scenario hopefully. Just to let you know how far behind I'm Rom Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Smile Smile I still use, a 1958 STB special  lol!  lol!  lol!  Wink Wink.  cheers[/quote

Good for you! Truth be told............I don't know how to use a computer. I'm very nervous about spending that kind of money on any device. It will be fun though. I'm going to have to use it to tell me what pigeons to keep. I won't know otherwise! ]
Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 24, 2017 8:03 am

Romedius wrote:
fieldwalker wrote:

Unikon I was against ETS in the begining but soon come round once i got used to it...
the club owns ours [members] santa
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 28, 2017 12:33 am

ETS not allowed in my club. Had one sold it. Use a Benzing.
New loft. Plastic and steel, wood floor. Stock birds in there. Too cold! 60 watt light bulb under waterer. Still froze. Wind chill is terrible. Old wooden lofts, same bulbs in biscuit tins, no problems. Anyway, young starting to hatch. Will not use this loft again for winter breeding. Doubt if I will winter breed again. Have 90 some pigeons. Too much feed, care and attention. In this weather anyway. So plan is to race every bird I can every race I can. The present stock loft holds 15 boxes. will race 12 pairs from there. 2019. 12 x6. Will use for young birds. 8 feet of it. Other 4 feet 6 pairs of stock birds with aviary. The 24 x 8 feet loft I will pull down and burn.
As you can see downsizing greatly. Performance has to count. Top few percent stay.
Back to top Go down
Romedius
Hatchling
Hatchling
Romedius

PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 28, 2017 2:06 am

Yes sir, quite a down size. 90 pigeons is more than I want too. Don't know what to do with these whitebirds. A dude ranch found out through the grapevine, and wants me to let them have them for weddings. Lots of celebrities come out here. I'm not interested really, but they charge 1200$ a night to sleep in a tent with a fancy chamber pot. The opportunity is there. I don't wish to wear a suit again though.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 28, 2017 2:09 am

Go for it!
Back to top Go down
Romedius
Hatchling
Hatchling
Romedius

PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 28, 2017 2:17 am

My wife wants me too. It would only take a few hours to huild a couple fancy dowel baskets. She looked up a white bird release business and found they won't even consider releasing around here. Maybe she can do it. I will just keep the gravy clown
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 28, 2017 10:10 am

Romedius wrote:
My wife wants me too.  It would only take a few hours to huild a couple fancy dowel baskets.  She looked up a white bird release business and found they won't even consider releasing around here.  Maybe she can do it.  I will just keep the gravy clown
I say go for it etc
Rom Smile Smile in for a pennie in for a pound type of thing & besides a friend of mine (old club mate) is into the same caper with weddings with his white pigeons. Always can be a tax thing Wink Wink. One point you may like to consider, he never races his white ones even thou they are race pigeons. Found on average, they just don't cut the mustard type of thing in his view Wink Wink. cheers
Back to top Go down
Romedius
Hatchling
Hatchling
Romedius

PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 28, 2017 1:19 pm

I will make some calls today. Talking with the wife last night. More interest than I thought . Sounds like she may want to handle them.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 28, 2017 2:19 pm

fieldwalker wrote:
Romedius wrote:
fieldwalker wrote:

Unikon I was against ETS in the begining but soon come round once i got used to it...
the club owns ours [members] santa

our club got £5,000 I think, it was off a local taxi firm.......club bought all members a bricon speedy (still owned by the club) for use if racing , ive never used one (never raced to use one) and thought I would stick with my t3, but got to move with the times I suppose and use the ets like everyone else.

that's if I get my loft up f/walker........ lol!
Back to top Go down
Romedius
Hatchling
Hatchling
Romedius

PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 28, 2017 2:24 pm

Our race secretary recently bought some gps system that allows you to track your birds. I think it sounds fun, but maybe not necessarily needed. I guess it will let him know which rivers/valleys the pigeons take on the way home.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 28, 2017 2:54 pm

Probably this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HzOoEMAdxY
Fed I am in uses this.
http://www.tillsonburgdrpc.com/tracking_N1our_pigeons.htm
Electronics stop new flyers joining. These innovations may help interest them.
Back to top Go down
markevans
Youngbird
Youngbird
markevans

PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 28, 2017 9:35 pm

Called round a club members home this afternoon to see his new loft very nice 30 ft long with an aluminium flight running the full length talking about breeding he told me that one chap in another club has double rung his young with this years rings and old rings so he can race them in the last 3 or 4 old bird races the cut the old ring off and race the as young birds what people will do to win a race
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 28, 2017 11:05 pm

yes ive heard of this before mark, probably have to breed very early I would think,  supplying the 2018 life rings before January would make it easier for them to do this.
Back to top Go down
Romedius
Hatchling
Hatchling
Romedius

PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 28, 2017 11:20 pm

Romedius wrote:
I will make some calls today.  Talking with the wife last night.  More interest than I thought .  Sounds like she may want to handle them.  

I'm doing it. Money did all the talking. I had no idea white birds and weddings were such a profitable combination. I understand a monopoly helps. Thanks for the motivation Hal and knackered. Separate white bird loft....here we come! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 28, 2017 11:55 pm

Good for you!! Do not release in Area 51. But that is a ways from you.
Back to top Go down
Romedius
Hatchling
Hatchling
Romedius

PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 29, 2017 12:11 am

halcanada wrote:
Good for you!! Do not release in Area 51. But that is a ways from you.

lol!. I figure it would either make them sterile or file sexual harassment charges against my loft! lol!
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 29, 2017 12:45 am

Mark. Nothing in the Fed rules here about NOT shipping young with old. years ago flew young birds in a 200 mile race with old birds. My old birds had done 400 some 500 some 600. They needed a break.  Had done enough. Club members laughed at me. No chance, they said, that you will be on the sheet,. Got a 3rd and a 5th. Fluke, they said. Won the 2nd and 4th position last OB race of the Season. 250 miles. The birds were ready.
Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 29, 2017 1:01 am

Once trained ybs will beat old birds more often than not but if they hit a bad day more ybs will be missing.
Ray and myself know a fancier who raced ob races with ybs...double rung yb ting taped up at least 30 year ago.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 29, 2017 3:51 am

Romedius wrote:
Romedius wrote:
I will make some calls today.  Talking with the wife last night.  More interest than I thought .  Sounds like she may want to handle them.  

I'm doing it.  Money did all the talking.  I had no idea white birds and weddings were such a profitable combination.  I understand a monopoly helps.  Thanks for the motivation Hal and knackered.  Separate white bird loft....here we come! Twisted Evil
People can pay crazy money for a few white doves in a basket type of thing Rom Smile Smile Think funeral also Wink Wink double the work Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes but double the profit etc lol! lol! lol!. Suggest a few fancy type baskets there for your white birds, will pay off in the end also. cheers
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 29, 2017 4:00 am

fieldwalker wrote:
Once trained ybs will beat old birds more often than not but if they hit a bad day more ybs will be missing.
Ray and myself know a fancier who raced ob races with ybs...double rung yb ting taped up at least 30 year ago.
Smile Smile I raced them like that here
FW Wink Wink lol!  lol!  lol!   100 odd years ago etc Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 31, 2017 12:40 am

Bands arrived few days ago. Eggs hatching. young look good, ones I can see. Band on the 4th, all going well. Did not have a breeding mix handy. Feed store was all out.
Mix I have is 12.5 percent. So bought a bag of chicken grower. Crumbs. Half the price of pigeon feed. 16% protien Plus vit a,d,e etc, minerals.Give them half and half.  They ate the grains, slow on the crumbs. They will have to get used to them. Pigeons will adapt. No feed store open now for a few days. Hopefully by then the roads will be cleared somewhat.
Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 31, 2017 1:52 am

Is that like a mash or a pellet Hal ?
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 31, 2017 1:57 am

Not a pellet. Mash? Crumbles here, probably same thing. Jut read this.
"When I bought my first four pairs of White Swiss Mondains, the breeder told me to buy a special feed. It was expensive and had to be special ordered. The same thing happened to me. The farm store "ran out" and didn't make my special order. My birds did O.K. on some game bird ration they had but I wasn't satisfied.

I ordered one two bags of each of the following and mixed my own:

1) Whole Corn
2) Whole Red Wheat
3) Chick Peas

I did not mix the grains, but fed each by itself in its own compartment in the cafeteria feeder. The birds eat different grains at different times of the day. This way, they develop their own ration. Of course, I also provide good grit and quality water at all times.

When chick peas are not available there is usually some other legume that is. I have alternated dry green and yellow peas, cow peas, even small white and red beans. All are relished by the birds. Whole corn is sometimes difficult to get and at those times I have alternated popcorn. Wheat is always available.

Now, this may seem complicated but it really isn't. Since that time, I have never fed commercial rations and I haven't had to worry about special ordering anything. This more natural approach creates a more healthy flock of birds, believe me."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Winter breeding.   Winter breeding. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Winter breeding.
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next